Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#475346 10/21/22 03:25 PM
jeff33 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a nice 33 coupe all stock. My complaint is the low speed, so I'm looking for ways to improve the hiway speed. I have come across a 1949, 235 engine, transmission and rear end. Would it be alot of problems to change it over. I don't want to hurt the originality of the car. Maybe a rear end gear change would be better if I could find one. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
jeff33

Last edited by jeff33; 10/21/22 03:27 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The only 235 engine available in 1949 was available in big trucks. 216 was the displacement of the passenger car engine in 1949. The rear end ratio of most 1949 cars was 4.11 which is the same as what you have now.
A 1949 engine would be comfortable at a slightly higher RPM than your 1933 engine, but not enough to to be worth the effort to make the change. Both transmissions are 1 to 1 ratio in high gear.
My 1935 Standard series Chevy runs 45-50 MPH which I think is as fast as the brakes, steering, and other features of the car were designed for.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I agree with Mike... The steering , Brakes & suspension... were not designed for higher speeds... you will not feel like you are in control of the car if you are traveling at higher speeds... and for sure you will be unsafe at higher speeds....
Why not just slow down... use the back roads and enjoy driving a car... that sets you back to a time when people were living at a slower pace of life... and people used their cars to go for a joy ride... making the journey... the fun part .....not the destination...

1934 Chevrolet Master sedan
jeff33 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Well you are correct ! I just am against trailering a car, if it's a long drive to a show.
jeff33

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
FYI, the rule that I usually go by is to drive my trucks ('27 and '28) to shows that are 60 miles from home or closer. The driving experience along the byways is wonderful!

I think this '60 mile rule' is based on how much time I want to spend driving to the show and driving home (via back streets), versus the amount of time to get them onto and off the trailer (at home and at the show).

For shows further away than 60 miles, I trailer them.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

1 member likes this: Ed_Osier
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I have pretty much the same rule of thumb as Dean, especially with my 38. The last thing I want is to be a few hundred miles from home and have something break. I can't walk into a FLAPS and buy the parts I need in most cases. Some parts can still be special ordered through a FLAPS but that would mean paying for a few nights in a hotel while walking everywhere, then laying on my back in a hotel parking lot doing the install. Not my idea of a good time.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Jeff,
If you consider the driving time at 45 MPH, then factor in the time to load and unload (twice), driving usually makes more sense.
If you would rather drive 60 MPH, think about the expense and effort to make the conversion, and the destruction of originality to your car. A one hour drive at 60 MPH takes one hour and 20 minutes at 45 MPH. It would take a lot of 20 minute time savings for me, to justify making major modifications. Plus, your car is really not a 1933 Chevy any more, afterwards.
I can't tell from your location (Windsor) what sort of location you live in. I live in a rural area, near a town of 100,000. I am a bit nervous when I take one of my oldies into town, but I find that other drivers are friendly toward me. I avoid interstate and other 4 lane, high speed roads. It's your call, but I like the slow pace and experience of an all original car.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
2 members like this: Clement, Stovblt
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
I had a 216 out of a '37 pickup in my '33 until I found a correct '33 engine for my coupe. The pickup bell housing bolted right up to the '33 car transmission. Not sure but I think the pickup had a 4 speed transmission. I wanted the correct engine in my car but that 216 would really go in that little coupe! I didn't have to alter the car to put the 216 in it, just different motor mounts. If you really want a bigger engine, that would be a possibility and the car could be put back to stock very easily.

Last edited by Ed_Osier; 10/22/22 10:29 AM.

Ed
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
On driving the back roads. I can appreciate those who own pre nineteen forty ones doing this. Read on.

As the interstates allow you to run a minimam speed of 45 (in NC at least) then my 41 can place along at 50-60 right along and those who want to pass can easily do so in the inside lane whereas if you're n a back road you will without doubt have some park behind you and close enough that passing by those who want to get on down the road can't. This is what creates the "parking lot" situation. When you get on a back road in most cases it is curvy compared to an interstate and there will be long stretches where you can't pass, etc.

If interstate trafic make you nervous then upgrade to a 41 or later and leave the old pre 41 at home and seriously think about getting rid of it.

There is no one traveling on an interstate that, when you'rer going 50-60, is going to cause them to come up on you so fast that they can't switch lanes and/or make prudent adjustments.

I say ignore the "finger" salutes and drive on the d..m interstate that your tax dollars helped pay for.

And remember that when on the interstate and you eventually come up to the inevitable road construction site or some other generated "parking lot" if you get in the right lane you'll more than likely be right beside the person who laid on their horn and gave you the finger as they blew past you back down the road. Will too.

Don't get me started. Back roads indeed.

Best,
Charlie

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Traveling the interstate at 50-55 is fine even with my 32 when in rural areas however in congested traffic such as we have here in the northeast it is next to impossible to remain in a slow lane as one does not exist. Almost everyone travels 10-15 MPH over the 65 MPH speed limit. Check out the following from Nashua NH which is 7 miles south of me. "!!Officers set up a heavy presence along the Everett Turnpike on Wednesday and stopped 147 cars in just five hours, officials said. More than half of those drivers were going at least 20 mph over the speed limit, officials said.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Of course there are interstates that are so crowded that it will make event the best old car driver nervous. In those areas and situations I doubt there are any back roads that has traffic less congested. Better to avoid both situations with and old car.

Those north east situations and those around many cities are nightmare for driving on even with a hotrod.

I was merely thinking that opting for a back road as opposed to an interstate is not always necessary.

Take that interstate from Macon to Savanah, GA. It is lightly traveled and would present no problem even for 37/38 drivers. Try to use the bypasses around large metropolitan areas. The most congested areas are the ones that cut through or into downtowns.

As busy as interstate 95 is here in NC I have no qualms about getting on it and cruising along in the right hand lane between construction and accident sights.

Traffic west of the Mississippi River is space compared to some interstates east of it. Many times you'll find yourself all alone for stretches out there. No reason to take US 50, et al, out there and not all interstates are crowded all the time. Pick and choose when you're on them if you're concerned abut your safety. Interstates don't have many sharp curves and so there is plenty of space for other motorists to see you chugging along in the right lanes well before they have to adjust their speed to safely go around you.

Most motorists easily and readily recognize that you're driving an old car and will give you a wide berth. Especially when they see it may be a 37/38 with parts a-slinging off ever which way. Will too! dance

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: Sorry about following the thread of "back roads" here on this instant topic about changing engines for more speed, etc.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I just got my 41 on the road this year. It cruses fine at 45. I do get nervous any higher due to knowing it has old tech for the brakes etc. For any car I have always followed the rule of the brakes and suspension must first be upgraded to a greater level than the expected HP / speed gain. Unfortunately doing all of these changes often out way the benefits of the greater speed when downtime, cost and time are considered.

Also changes like this change the personality of the car. Sometimes its nice to have something the drives like nothing else around you.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I was very comfortable traveling at 55-60 in my '37 Master Coupe. One advantage was that it had the 3.73 rear axle ratio. I had refurbished/rebuilt the brakes and steering so was very confident in them.

The only time I trailered the car was when I went to week long tour over 300 miles away. I trailed it for 2 reasons. I was concerned that if something happened on the tour I would have mess getting home. I was uncomfortable traveling if I got caught in rain on the higher speed roads. Those bias ply tires don't work like radials in the wet. And we all know how well the wipers work!

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.