Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
RMeSGT Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Could someone post a photo of the supports that connect the back of the rear fender to the frame? Photos of the type of hardware that was originally used would be helpful also.

As a bonus question - the last two fasteners in the back of the rear fenders are missing on my car. There is not a hole/cage nut for them, it appears as though they were screws that came from the body out to the fender based on the holes left from the originals. Can someone also post a photo of this hardware so that I can replace them?

As always, thank you all for your help and information!

Phil

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
The rear portion of the rear fenders do not have any cage nuts attached to the body. I just attached that portion of the rear fenders by using a hexhead bolt ( maybe 1/4" x 3/4" long) and placed a flat washer next to the head of the bolt and one next to the attaching nut.
You mention that the rear of the fender is attached to the frame. It is not. The rear of the rear fenders are attached to the body.

dtm

the toolman
60th Anniversary Meet Chairperson
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
VCCA #83 Tool Technical Advisor for 1914-1966
VCCA #83 1940 Chevrolet Technical Advisor
RMeSGT Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for your response toolman.

With regard to the rear of the fender not utilizing cage nuts, I assume that you mean the last two attachment points on the rear of the rear fender? That is true on my car. Those are the two that I mentioned in my original post. My car has the original fenders which were removed a few years ago by a previous owner. On both rear fenders the holes in the attachment point in the body were round. Both holes on both rear fenders have a small piercing and outward dimple on the fender side (inside the wheel well). I can't make any other conclusion other than they were attached by screws rather than bolts/nuts. My assumption is that the fasteners were likely hex head sheetmetal screws with fine threads much like a couple of the fasteners on a 1968 Camaro front fender were (only smaller because of the piercing size)?

Sorry about my mixup of where the fender supports attach. I saw the holes where they go on the "car side" but didn't remember exactly what they went to. Do you have any photos of the ones in your car that you'd be willing to share with me? I would really appreciate it!

If anyone has any extra of these supports, I will make a post in the "parts wanted" section for them.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If 1940 fenders attach similar to 41-48 they use two #14 hex sheet metal screws and a 5/16 course thread bolt (with washers and a nut) in the last three holes to the rear of the fender. The problem is #14 hex head screws are a bit difficult to source. Current replacements in hardware and big box stores are metric and have more threads per inch. I have successfully forced the later screws into the dimples you mention but would do so prior to placing the fender in place. Restoration Specialties may have the proper screws. They are 1” long. If not similar, disregard. Mike

Attached Images
997E8A30-1660-436B-A119-ADCC04319E9F.jpeg 53DCAC27-A128-4034-A16E-C09E202C88AE.jpeg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.