Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Dev Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Hi, I need help in the identification of color found on the car, pic attached. It's a medium green with hue of blue.
This color is not in the '48 paint chips.
Will someone please help in the identification?
Dev

Attached Images
'48 Fm orig color.jpeg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts


Filling Station


Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 29,495
Likes: 48
ChatMaster - 25,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 25,000
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 29,495
Likes: 48
What country was the car assembled in?

Does it have a Fisher body or a Holden body?

Last edited by Chev Nut; 04/30/22 04:11 PM.

Gene Schneider
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Dev Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
The car was assembled in India and is Fisher bodied.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 29,495
Likes: 48
ChatMaster - 25,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 25,000
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 29,495
Likes: 48
The US cars had a plate riveted to the fire wall that contained the paint number.


Gene Schneider
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 29,495
Likes: 48
ChatMaster - 25,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 25,000
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 29,495
Likes: 48
There was a 1947 color used on a limited number of 1948 US cars that looks like your color on my screen,
It was paint # 351, Lakeside Green. it was only used as the lower color on two tone cars with the top color Lullwater green, a darker green color #346.


Gene Schneider
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,676
Likes: 5
ChatMaster - 1,500
Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,676
Likes: 5
I agree with Gene. It sure looks close to my '47 paint sample chips, at least on my screen.


Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Dev Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
There was a 1947 color used on a limited number of 1948 US cars that looks like your color on my screen,
It was paint # 351, Lakeside Green. it was only used as the lower color on two tone cars with the top color Lullwater green, a darker green color #346.
Many thanks for decoding the mystery. I shall get both the colors made and update in a few days.

Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Dev Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
There was a 1947 color used on a limited number of 1948 US cars that looks like your color on my screen,
It was paint # 351, Lakeside Green. it was only used as the lower color on two tone cars with the top color Lullwater green, a darker green color #346.
Revisiting an old request, I received the panel sprayout of Lakeside Green and Lullwater green. Lakeside green is indeed a beautiful color.
Many thanks to Chevy Nut.
Does anyone has a modern day code for Ozone blue? That also looks quite nice but paint companies do not have the formulation of the same.
Please advise.
Regards

Attached Images
IMG-20220630-WA0001.jpg
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Dev Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Esteemed members,

I have decided to paint the car with Freedom Blue ( dark blue) on the top and Ozone blue ( lighter blue ) on the lower part.

I want to know if the cars were, in the production, painted in single color ( lower/ lighter ) all over followed by the darker shade on the top?
Or the darker color was sprayed on the top first followed by the lighter color on the lower side ?
Please advise.
Dev

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 29,495
Likes: 48
ChatMaster - 25,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 25,000
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 29,495
Likes: 48
In the US Freedom Blue was a 1947 color. The car could be solid Freedom Blue or two toned with a lighter Ozone blue lower. Freedom blue would be best descibed as a medium dark blue.

1948 has LAKE COMO blue as the upper color, a much more metallic medium dark blue and Dove Gray as a lower lighter light gray color, a stunning combination. There was no US light blue color,

For two tone cars the factory painted the lower color first and top color last bringing the lower color slightly above the top color at the belt line with very little over lap. .


Gene Schneider
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Dev Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
In the US Freedom Blue was a 1947 color. The car could be solid Freedom Blue or two toned with a lighter Ozone blue lower. Freedom blue would be best descibed as a medium dark blue.

1948 has LAKE COMO blue as the upper color, a much more metallic medium dark blue and Dove Gray as a lower lighter light gray color, a stunning combination. There was no US light blue color,

For two tone cars the factory painted the lower color first and top color last bringing the lower color slightly above the top color at the belt line with very little over lap. .
Thanks for the information.
I am going in with the '47 combination, ozone blue and freedom blue, as the car had a '47 color on the car . GM's assembly plant in India probably used earlier color combinations also it seems.
As for the spray procedure, will the centre pillar's sides be two tone ? And the door's top frame ?
Please advise.
Dev

Last edited by Dev; 09/03/22 11:00 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,676
Likes: 5
ChatMaster - 1,500
Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,676
Likes: 5
Quote
will the centre pillar's sides be two tone ? And the door's top frame ?
A couple pictures of mine as original.

On the body, from the belt line up is the darker color. Including the inside edge of the pillars.

On the doors, only the outside of the door above the belt line is the top color. The inside edge of the door is the lighter color.

Attached Images
4.jpg 5.jpg

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Dev Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by ruscar
Quote
will the centre pillar's sides be two tone ? And the door's top frame ?
A couple pictures of mine as original.

On the body, from the belt line up is the darker color. Including the inside edge of the pillars.

On the doors, only the outside of the door above the belt line is the top color. The inside edge of the door is the lighter color.
Thanks for the help. The pics are explanatory.
My apologies for shooting questions but just want to be authentically correct.
The innerside of door where the door pad will fit, will be well finished with the interior color or will remain gray with slight overspray from the sides ?
And how do I end the top color coming down from the top in the front, just below the wiper mounting?

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,676
Likes: 5
ChatMaster - 1,500
Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,676
Likes: 5
As for the interior finish of the door. My guess is when painted at the factory they simply opened the door and sprayed all four edges and that was it. Or they were on some type of hanger and just hit the edges with the lower body color.

As to the cut-off line below the windshield, there is a crease/ridge almost at the bottom edge of the wiper towers.

Attached Images
6.jpg 7.JPG

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Dev Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by ruscar
As for the interior finish of the door. My guess is when painted at the factory they simply opened the door and sprayed all four edges and that was it. Or they were on some type of hanger and just hit the edges with the lower body color.

As to the cut-off line below the windshield, there is a crease/ridge almost at the bottom edge of the wiper towers.

Russell, many thanks for the information. This is of immense help .
I am in the process of painting the car and will share images when done.
I wish to thank all members for their kind advice and suggestions helping me in restoring the car authentically.
With warm regards,
Dev

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,676
Likes: 5
ChatMaster - 1,500
Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,676
Likes: 5
You are welcome!
Good luck and looking forward to seeing your results.


Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet Car Club!


VCCA Raffle Tickets

Support the VCCA Anniversary Meet

Member Photos
4th Annual Gulf Coast Region car show
Rear apron bolts
Rear apron bolts
by nhinchas, March 23
Pictures of the heap
Pictures of the heap
by Leapin, February 1
1950 Styleline Wiring Acc block
1950 Styleline Wiring Acc block
by WI_Jeff, January 22
Who's Online Now
2 members (bloo, Ed_Osier), 45 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
thdrduck, dirty30, HapStatic, C20Mike, 47fleet
17,631 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tiny, wawas2
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics56,973
Posts416,671
Members17,631
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020
 

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5