Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#470201 05/27/22 08:54 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Any phots of what trim looks like after it’s off car. I see people say pry it off slowly and carefully. Do you pry up on material side ? ( I assume ). Want to replace with marine grade vinyl. Try to save trim as I think it looks better then the aftermarket stuff.
Thanks

Attached Images
1A1E94D7-561F-4496-9A9B-A8A258286766.jpeg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The trim is in two pieces. There is a steel channel underneath that has two sides angled in. The is a dovetail under the aluminum part and the steel pinches the dovetail to keep it in place. This is accomplished by tapping the aluminum into the steel channel. You will need to start at the front end and carefully pry up the aluminum, trying not to distort it too much, to release it from the steel channel and work around the perimeter. Once the aluminum is off the steel channel can be removed carefully as it is held down with nails. It's possible the steel will lift off with the aluminum if the nails are not holding well. Go slowly until you see what's happening.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello cabboy,
Thank you for the explanation about how the steel base and the aluminum upper trim fit together. My question is, can you explain where and how the vinyl top material fits into this assembly and is secured? It would be interesting to see an exploded assembly diagram to visualize each items position.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Cabboy.
After reading your post I went out to reevaluate. The top piece seems to be still instead of aluminum as a magnet will stick to it.looks like mine has three seams to it. On in the center back and on both sides about 8.5 inches back from the front. Have not found photos or video of removal. I’m be overly cautious probably , but I know I have one shot. If I mess up I won’t be able to replace this trim style.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Kray1932,
Not finding any 'how to' information on removing or installing the roof material metal trim. I did come across 'classiccarrestorationclub.com' and a discussion titled 'removing roof moldings on a '32 Chevrolet'. After carefully reading all that was presented, the only technique given was: "carefully prying on them". If you go with Cabboy's explanation of how the exposed upper metal trim press fits INTO the base receptacle that's nailed onto the wood coachwork, you should be able to 'carefully pry' the two apart. Trying to visualize Cabboy's description, base receptacle left and right vertical sides angle inward toward each other at their top edge. The metal cover trim 'legs' must be tapered slightly wider to cause a friction fit when pressed on. If this sounds correct, the trick will be to not damage the upper top metal by deforming the shape. I'd stay away from the middle of the metal trim until you see how it fits. Don't use prying tools with sharp edges that could scar the metal. If you are successful at lifting an end, maybe a finely tapered wooden wedge could be used to separate the fit along it's entire length. Prying from the roof material side should be less damaging then the sheet metal body side. Please tell us what you find out and help others in the same situation.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I come to about the same conclusion as you. I can’t believe theirs not one video to watch for a challenged person like myself. I found a member who did his 1932 coupe in 1962 at 19 and it’s still going. We’re going to try to get together at the end of June. I’m hoping with his first hand knowledge he can help me understand even better. When I do tackle this it will be recorded for better or worse. So maybe the next guy can see what to do or hopefully what not to do. Thanks for all the information from everyone. Great site with great knowledgeable people. Fabricators and experience are becoming a lost art and can be a good living if you have or can develop the talent. Thanks

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
It's probably similar to the way the drip edge is fastened. The molding that goes against the car has channel legs that will bend into the top piece and grip it when hammered down

Attached Images
IMG_1728-2.jpg
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well finally went for it. Not as tuff as I thought so far. No chicken wire in mine. More photos and video at m car page if interested on 32 original top trim removal. FB Time Machine Link.

https://www.facebook.com/1932-Chevrolet-Time-Machine-Project-104225868937472/

Attached Images
C0C60EF2-3BEC-4C68-9A17-94CBCE0AB16F.jpeg 1653C0E0-6338-45E0-BB2F-78E8774D87EB.jpeg
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
There was a link a few years ago to the mafca. The tops are similar and a member posted it as a reference.

Art

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Kray1932,
Now that you have pried the roof top material (trim) off in one piece, with the nails and all, will you be able to separate the trim cover from the base that has the nails, and be able to show us what they look like separated? That way we can see how the two pieces are made to fit together. Your video answered my question as to how the top material attached to the trim. It doesn't. The trims (nail base) holds the materials edge in position because of all the nails used.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The trim piece with nail is one piece. The nails I believe are soldered on to the trim. That’s why it’s hard to reuse trying to get the nails back to we’re they belong. I doing this in a very unconventional way I’m sure. My plan as of now is to add strips between the strips. Then I have a thin rubber membrane to lay down instead of the burlap. Then I’m going to try and attach a tonal cover material by tac’s and adhesive. Then I will try to finesse the trim strips back on with some good clear silicone adhesive. If all look good will weight the trim down for a couple days to cure. I hope to never have to take it off. If I do I will deal with it then. I figure I will have one shot with the stock trim.

Attached Images
203D0EC5-B768-4A80-90B4-D1BED4A969D5.jpeg 73AA057D-9734-4CD2-BE8D-4EAD8C452E0A.jpeg
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by beachbum
There was a link a few years ago to the mafca. The tops are similar and a member posted it as a reference.

Art
I have done a lot of searching in the past with no luck. I’m hoping what I post might be helpful to someone in the future. I figure some information and photos are better then none. Hopefully I will get better with documenting stuff as I go. This car is a daily journey for me.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Kray1932,
Thank you for clarifying how the trim is made just one piece. Will you remove all the nails to obtain a flat underside trim? I'm thinking that besides just relying on silicone adhesive alone, you might use some screw fasteners in a few strategic locations also. As you say, hope to never need to remove trim again, you can make fasteners disappear during the finishing process.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ok right or wrong it’s done. Did all except spray the glue and staples. Replace one slat then added two extra New ones. Put in chicken wire then secured the padding. Put New roof material on then installed stock trim. Then put some black silicone to seal up . Better then what I had, and did it myself. I’m very happy with it. Have more photos at FB Time Machine Link.

https://www.facebook.com/1932-Chevrolet-Time-Machine-Project-104225868937472/

Attached Images
228B2242-45EB-4892-A1AA-A3E76BEF0BC0.jpeg
Last edited by Kray1932; 09/01/22 11:42 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (Peter_Gariepy, BearsFan315, Henrys37), 91 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,078
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.