Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
41 Master Deluxe

When we were rewiring the car we got into the habit of never leaving the car battery connected due to the condition of the wires. Most of the wiring has now been replaced or inspected. Rest will be replaced this winter.

Is it really safer to disconnect the battery rather than just leaving it connected? We now trust the wiring. currently we check the oil and for leaks under thee car for each drive and reconnect the battery. Would like to get to a point that we check things weekly or when adding gas.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Expect a lot of opinions but no real facts or data to back any of them. If the wiring and electrical components are in good condition there is no reason to disconnect.

When you went on a 3 week vacation and left your regular vehicle at the airport did you disconnect the battery?

My preference is to disconnect the battery on both my classic cars if I know I will not be driving them for a while, maybe a week or more. Otherwise I leave them connected so we can just get in them and go.

Over the winter I do disconnect and use a battery maintainer.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Like Rusty says, if you trust the wiring there is no need to disconnect as with all switches in the off position nothing is connected anyway but there is no problem with disconnecting anyway.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Owing to the usual hookup some things are still connected to the live side of the ignition switch after that switch is turned off, I usually disconnect the battery if it is going to be awhile before restarting the engine, Even if everything is turned off and can get no juice, it makes me rest easier.

Best,

Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
We disconnect on all our collector cars except the 2 that have computers in them. Things to remember your clock is running after the key is off and several other accessories still have power to them. This is chances for a fire to start. Also when trailering I always disconnect the battery. I have heard many times someone say they stop somewhere and they heard their horn blaring on the car in the trailer. All it takes is a couple seconds to disconnect!

33yr member/3rd generation member
Andy Jurski #42092
Family collection:
26 collector cars:
20 Chevrolet's
2 Ford
1 Oldsmobile
3 Pontiac's

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (minetto, chevy b), 62 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,047
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.