Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#472634 08/02/22 03:14 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'd really appreciate it if someone could post a picture of the accelerator, brake and clutch pedals of a '39.

I'm more interested in the position, size and shape of the accelerator pedal as I think my accelerator pedal has been modified and it's so high up its really difficult and uncomfortable to use. As much detail as possible would help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

Attached image shows pedals as they are now, is the accelerator correct?

Attached Images
pedals.png
Last edited by Roddabaz; 08/02/22 03:22 PM.
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I don't believe it's correct. Below shows my 38. Of course it could have changed in 39. If so someone will tell us.

Attached Images
IMG_1637.jpg IMG_1897.jpg

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
1 member likes this: Roddabaz
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The right hand drive pedal position is not the same as US left hand drive cars.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Those pictures are great, thanks. I've found exactly the same gas pedal for sale in a couple of places listed for a '39, so I'm now certain it's been badly modified. To use the pedal now I have to hold my leg in the air, which makes it almost impossible to drive.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
As well as the gas pedal issue my brake pedal is quite high, there's considerable free play in the pedal close to 2 inches. Should there be any adjustment/stops for the pedal? What exactly is meant by toe board clearance quoted in the shop manual and where do you measure that 1/4 inch when you adjust it?

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If your R.H. drive car has the master cylinder on the left side I would suspect inkage wear is a problem.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
If your R.H. drive car has the master cylinder on the left side I would suspect inkage wear is a problem.

Thanks for that Gene, if the master cylinder had been on the left I get what you mean, but the master cylinder is on the right hand side.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
On RHD Australian 39’s there is a cross over linkage on the engine side of the firewall. The accelerator pedal (about 160mm long with rubber covering) is pivoted at the bottom end on the floor,and the upper end has a short through rod connecting to the cross over shaft, the pedal in your pictures look like a hot rodder pedal from the 60’s,

The brake pedal top board clearance is adjusted via an concentric bolt on the push rod that enters the master cylinder bore. My 39 has about 3/4 inch of movement before the brake pedal applies pressure at the master cylinder,

Last edited by jack39rdstr; 08/04/22 07:04 AM.

JACK
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Toe board clearance is the distance between the pedal lever on the engine side of the firewall , and the floor where the round detachable pedal passes into the inside of the vehicle, ( think about the pedal hitting the sheetmetal every time you let the brake pedal go ).
If you have about 2 inches or 50mm of free play in your pedal , I would suspect that there is too much clearance between the brake shoes and the drums, a brake shoe adjustment would be in order,

Last edited by jack39rdstr; 08/04/22 07:07 AM.

JACK
1 member likes this: Roddabaz
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by jack39rdstr
Toe board clearance is the distance between the pedal lever on the engine side of the firewall , and the floor where the round detachable pedal passes into the inside of the vehicle, ( think about the pedal hitting the sheetmetal every time you let the brake pedal go ).
If you have about 2 inches or 50mm of free play in your pedal , I would suspect that there is too much clearance between the brake shoes and the drums, a brake shoe adjustment would be in order,

Thanks for the info, the crossover shaft is there as you say, the pedal is a real botch job, made by someone and then modified by others, it has sections welded in and was even welded into the crossover shaft. I've made a new pedal from stuff I already had and a new shaft from an old scissor jack handle! Got to get dimensions of it as good as I can now.

The brake pedal does smack against the toe board, will have to look at the adjustment now I know where to measure. The clutch pedal was badly adjusted too, had to take out an inch and a half of free play - at least that was easy to do!

I've adjusted the front brakes now, they were awful, pedal feel is better but I'll have to check the rears before I do anything else.

Thanks again, your information is very helpful.

Last edited by Roddabaz; 08/04/22 01:13 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
On RHD Australian 39’s there is a cross over linkage on the engine side of the firewall. The accelerator pedal (about 160mm long with rubber covering) is pivoted at the bottom end on the floor,and the upper end has a short through rod connecting to the cross over shaft, the pedal in your pictures look like a hot rodder pedal from the 60’s,

The brake pedal top board clearance is adjusted via an concentric bolt on the push rod that enters the master cylinder bore. My 39 has about 3/4 inch of movement before the brake pedal applies pressure at the master cylinder,

Accelerator pedals I've seen for sale are around 200mm long, it's the through rod I would really like to see and either a rough or accurate measurement of the same, if at all possible. Thanks again.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Send me a PM and a your email, will have to send pictures directly when I get a chance.

JACK
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Send me a PM and a your email, will have to send pictures directly when I get a chance.

PM sent, thanks again Jack.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Finally got my gas pedal sorted, made myself a new one and devised a linkage to operate the wrongly positioned cross shaft. Applied a rubber pad cut from an old car mat. Now works a treat and is comfortable to use. Multi holed linkage is temporary, but now I know it's OK I'll make a better version.

See pictures attached.

Attached Images
DSCF0077 (2)a.JPG DSCF0080a.JPG

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.