Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Primo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So now that I've had my roadster a week and have registered my car by the engine number I have been going down the numbers rabbit hole. Unfortunately both the fisher tag and the serial tag are missing so most of the info I would love to know is lost to history. I've spent a couple of hours tracking broken links and trying to decipher what's what on the internet. Maybe I can sort out a little info.

The engine serial seems pretty straightforward, just a sequence number on engine production right?

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

Next is the date code, it looks to be "C 11 0" so I'm assuming March 11, 1930? What do the other number mean?

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

That's all the hard info I have , but I stumbled across a few other tidbits in my searches.

According to "The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1945" since my car has a rumble seat it was a "Roadster Sport" and would have been made in Tarrytown?

And then "http://home.znet.com/c1937/Prod.htm" claims that 27,651 roadster sports were made?

And 1930 had a total production of 647520.

I saw on another post that there used to be data on what assembly made what serials, is this info still floating around? Most of the links I find are dead.

Thanks!
-Primo

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Lots of info at the GM Heritage Center https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/
It's too bad your data plate is missing. It would have the serial number on it that could tell you the exact model, where it was made, when it was made and the sequence. I'm not up to speed on what all the numbers on the engine mean but someone will be along who can help though it may take a while. The clubs' 60th anniversary shindig is taking place this week in Bowling Green and many of the forum regulars are there.

Last edited by Tiny; 08/01/22 11:43 AM.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
1 member likes this: Primo
Primo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Cool, I'll spend some time searching that site. My 1930 Chevy folder is getting big.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The data plate for the open cars often got lost since the open cars saw a lot more weather. It was a small plate nailed to the right side of the seat riser, or possibly to the main sill near the passenger side seat riser and the sill to frame bolt. Some states will not accept it as the cars registration info since it can be so easily removed and changed. The closed cars from Fisher with a factory riveted job number plate in the center of the cowl is much more accepted. The data plate is still on both of my closed cars. One is 6AC273XX, made in Oakland CA. The other one is 21AC666XX made in Janesville WI. The '30 model would have been an AD car instead of the AC for 1929. The '30 model had a lot of improvements over the '29 model.

Art

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.