Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My son took the old ‘for storage’ tire off and put on the good ones. Will keep the old ones so in the winter the good ones do not get flat sided.

Looks like it is going to be safer for us to replace the tank. Cleaned it out with vinegar etc. and now there is a lot of loose sludge. Last thing we want is issues with rust in the fuel system. The sending unit is shot anyways and I wanted to replace the straps since I have to drop the tank to change the sending unit. Will run the car off of a boat tank for the time being.

Washed the car today. What a difference it makes to get the dust from sitting all this time off of it. The car passed the NYS inspection today. Unfortunately the water pump’s main seal let go when I got to the mechanics. Added water and drove home. The water pump has less than 15 miles on it and under an hour or idle time on it. We saw the coolant gushing out from behind the pulley. Will need to change that out.

Attached Images
IMG_20220627_201205880sm.jpg IMG_20220708_113016739Rsm.jpg IMG_20220708_113001610_HDRsm.jpg

1987 Monte Carlo LS
1941 Master Deluxe
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Looks great ! Regarding the tank issue. Be sure to ask whoever you buy from if the tank has internal baffles to keep the gas from sloshing around which drives the gas gage crazy (also the driver). I made that mistake & got one with no baffles.

Dick

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by XLVIIdriver
Looks great ! Regarding the tank issue. Be sure to ask whoever you buy from if the tank has internal baffles to keep the gas from sloshing around which drives the gas gage crazy (also the driver). I made that mistake & got one with no baffles.

Dick

I ordered one from Chevs of The 40s. They had one that works with fuel injection or carburetors cheaper than the original. It includes all of the straps, seals etc. needed to mount in. Other bonus was they discounted the sending unit for me with this tank.

1987 Monte Carlo LS
1941 Master Deluxe
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
No pics this time, just updates.

Took the car out to a few events in the last couple weeks. Each time went well.

Developed an issue starting when hot and stalling at idle. Found that the coil had a crack in the porcelain on the bottom and it was weeping fluid. I had never seen one made like the one on the car. The wire to the coil came out of the bottom and the + and - were on the top. It had porcelain on the bottom like a spark plug has on top. Car was last on the road in 69 from what we have been able to find so this coil may be really old. Also the resistance on the secondary was out of spec. Replaced the coil with a new one and the car starts and runs better than it ever has.

We mounted the new gas tank. Also connected the fuel gauge. It appears to be accurate but time will tell. Took us a while to figure out how best to mount the tank but it is now in. The poly tank fits tight but it fits. Issue we had was that this new tank requires a vent and the old one did not. We had to find a way to run a line for the vent and have it higher than the tank. Also had to ground this tank unlike the old one. Good side is that it has baffles in it and that it will not rust.

Seals around the u joint on the torque tube are leaking a lot. Was hoping to make it through the season just topping it off. Unfortunately each drive accelerates the leak. Having to refill the transmission after each drive. And we are not going more than 15 miles in a trip. This is the next item to be fixed.

1987 Monte Carlo LS
1941 Master Deluxe
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thank you for the well described updates. In my opinion too many ask for advice or recommendation and we never hear of the outcome. Again, thanks.

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
1 member likes this: Clement
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Anniversary Ad

More Info

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet Car Club!

VCCA Raffle Tickets

Support the VCCA Anniversary Meet

Member Photos
4th Annual Gulf Coast Region car show
Rear apron bolts
Rear apron bolts
by nhinchas, March 23
Pictures of the heap
Pictures of the heap
by Leapin, February 1
1950 Styleline Wiring Acc block
1950 Styleline Wiring Acc block
by WI_Jeff, January 22
Who's Online Now
10 members (Pops36, ruscar, Chev Nut, 6shootr, famoore1, Gordon21, Dave39MD, roara, Hawkeye, CarDC), 26 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lefthanddown, TAG, tbrissett68, Louiee, PFLCO
17,567 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
beep38, IMFALCO, ironchris, touringman
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics56,642
Posts414,977
Members17,567
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.