Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kevin70 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello, I'm a new member and have recently bought a 1928 AB National.
I need to remove the radiator to get a leak repaired and also want to remove the fuel tank in order to get the inside cleaned and the outside repainted.
Any advice would be really appreciated.

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
To remove the radiator it is necessary to remove the hood. It is a two person job. First remove the nuts and washers that hold the bottom of the radiator in place. They are on flat carriage type bolts. Loosen and remove the bolt at the top rear of the radiator if you have a "V" shaped upper support. Or the nut and washer if there is only a center support. Loosen the upper radiator hose clamp and then the hose so the top of the radiator can be moved forward and the hood center rod out of the socket. With another person push the top of the radiator forward while each grabs the front of the hood sides. Both grab the rear of the radiator side , slide the hood forward and the center rod out of the socket and lift the hood up and then walk it forward. Remove the lower and upper hoses. The radiator should now be able to be lifted up and out over the headlight bar.

The gas tank removal is fairly straight forward. Disconnect the gas line. If you have an exhaust pipe extending past the rear of the body it may be necessary to remove it or at least drop it down. Loosen the nuts on the two straps holding the tank in place. It will be necessary to support the tank while you remove the straps. I often use one leg to hold it it in place and then grabbing with hands to lower it.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Kevin70 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks Chipper that is really helpful. There is a good deal of dirt coming through the fuel as the car was stood up for some years. I have problems every time I run it, so need to get these jobs done soon.

Regards

Kevin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (kaygee, Peter_Gariepy, JEC51, 1 invisible), 92 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.