Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My 1939 1/2 ton pickup does not have a speedo cable and I need to install one. It looks like it attaches to the side of the transmission near the master cylinder and runs up to the rear of the speedometer. My question is where it runs- does it go under the metal floorboard and behind the Toeboard? Are there any clips built in to the flooring or frame that hold it in place?

Any assistance would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I don't know the answer here but it seems to me that because it is enclosed in the ''housing" it will support itself just fine. Look on the lower part of the firewall for any tab that is not being used to hold wiring or something else. The main thing is to locate trail from transmission to the back of the speedometer that does not interfere with any wiring, pedals, linkage, etc. If you want you could run some plastic lock straps to hold is so that you're comfortable with its location.

Good luck with it.

Best,

Charlie computer

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you, Charlie! I just saw that reproduction firewall grommets are available for my truck for the speedometer cable so it must run under the floorboards, into the engine compartment, and then through the firewall to the speedometer but I’m not sure which hole it goes through in the firewall.

Take care!

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.