Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#471468 06/28/22 11:34 PM
JrzVol Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi all, I'm a newbie looking for some guidance here. I'm loaded with stupid questions. I am no car expert but I love older vehicles and sometimes I chew off a little more than I can chew. I have a 1950 Chevy 3600 with a recently blown engine. Love the truck, but it was never what we wanted underneath the hood. Looking to replace the original straight 6 with a small block 8 (used/remanufacured/possibly crate). I'd like to find somewhere to have it replaced but have no idea where I can have this done. trying to avoid my local garage based on past experience. I've searched the internet, but haven't been able to discern whether any of these places are legit, and what I should really expect to pay. Is there a site or directory that's legit and might help me find somewhere that will do this for a reasonable price?

Go Vols!
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Welcome to VCCA Chat! I don't know how many of us are experienced with hotrodding a 50 3600 but someone will be along shortly who can help you out. I'll direct you to the Personalized Modifications forum as the forum most likely to find the folks here who can help you out. I also might recommend you visit stovebolt.com and register there if you haven't already. That site specializes in trucks and has a lot of hotrod folks spending time there. Good luck with your project.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If you want to find a local person to do it, I recommend going to a drive-in night and asking others in your area who they have had work on their cars. It would not surprise me if most of the people do their own work.

Word or caution, before a power upgrade an equal or greater upgrade to the bakes should be done. Speed is only good if you can stop it when needed.

Any shop you have do this will need to be one that does custom work. This is not a simple drop it in swap. Labor will be the most expensive part and the cost may be high to do.

The 6 was made for many years. Depending on what you are looking for it might be cheaper to place one from a later vehicle in yours. It would give a little more power and may be something you could handle is the mounts etc. were the same. Also, if the motor was worn that could explain a lack of performance. If you are looking for better highway speed but willing to sacrifice acceleration a rear end gear change may do the trick.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi JrzVol,

You might want to contact a local VCCA chapter (we call them regions) and talk to a few of those folks who are in your area.

Here's a web page that has all the contact info for our regions: https://vcca.org/page/Regions

Good luck! Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (dunfire), 83 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.