Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
1941 Chevy Master Deluxe

With the fuel line off of the tank no liquid fill flow out the port where the fuel line attaches. blowing compressed air into the tank and I here the air bubbles. Is there a one way valve on the tank outlet to the?

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
no

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Fuel should flow out when the fuel level is above the highest part of the pipe or if you can get fuel over the high point to a lower opening of the hose (syphon).
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by tonyw
Fuel should flow out when the fuel level is above the highest part of the pipe or if you can get fuel over the high point to a lower opening of the hose (syphon).
Tony

This is odd then. I filled the tank to the top to wash out any sludge and to test if this was blocked. Blowing the air in to place that the line connects and we saw bubbles in the tank through where the hole where the sender goes. Unfortunately nothing flows out of the tank where the gas line attaches.

I might have to see if I can get a syphon started somehow.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
It sounds like you have some crud blocking the outlet.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Jene,

Could you have not added some thought along the line of how can you see the bubbles when pressurizing the tank or how are you pressurizing the tank with that hole to look through"

I don't think I've read here on Chat a shorter no nonsense answer. That "no" about said it all. dance Agrin

Monty,

You may as well consider ordering a new tank. Your call.

Best,

Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
Jene,

Could you have not added some thought along the line of how can you see the bubbles when pressurizing the tank or how are you pressurizing the tank with that hole to look through"

Charlie computer

I did not mention that we did initially pressurize the tank with the gas line off, sender and the fill tube stopped up. It held air without issue so noting was coming out.

Next we removed the sender and filled the tank with water and blew air in the connector for the gas line, air bubbles were seen in the hole for the sender then. There fore we knew air could go in but liquid was not coming out.

Currently the tank is filled with vinegar hoping to dislodge / dissolve rust.

As a side note I had come to the thought I would most likely be replacing this tank. My son's are looking at YouTube and want to try whatever they can to fix this. I hope they can do it but if the vinegar / rinse idea does not work I think it will be time to move on.

Thanks on letting me know how this port should work.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
A caution for all to remember when thinking about leaks and possible plugs, air will go places that liquid can not. Air molecules are much smaller than any liquid ones so can pass through openings liquids can't. Water is an unique liquid with each molecule being attracted to the others so it will not flow places where other liquids can.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.