Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by ruscar

A little more good info about the "ball" in this clip.

Thanks for the link to the video. I watched that one yesterday and the one he had about reinstalling the engine and transmission where he reconnects the torque tube.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have found the kit for these seals on both the Filling Station and Chevs of the 40s. Also on EBay I found the kit with rubber seals instead of the cork ones. Are the rubber ones any better? Anyone tried these? If I am about to replace the seals I want whatever will last the longest. Seller's name is century-hotrod and they seem to have excellent feedback.

EBay seller

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
My $.02. I vote for the rubber one. The cork one I used leaks a little no matter how tight I tighten it with a two foot pipe wrench!

Just make sure you have the metal washer on each side of the rubber gasket. A little grease on it should help it tighten up.

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by ruscar
My $.02. I vote for the rubber one. The cork one I used leaks a little no matter how tight I tighten it with a two foot pipe wrench!

Just make sure you have the metal washer on each side of the rubber gasket. A little grease on it should help it tighten up.

None of the kits I see include the metal washers. Am I correct that they should already be on there and can be re-used? I have not taken it apart yet.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Yes, they should already be there. Came from the factory with them.

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Order is in. I purchased the rubber ones. So far this is the only large leak I have. There is some seepage by the oil pan but my modern daily drivers have more. As it gets more runs on it I will need to keep an eye on everything.

Will let you know how it turns out.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
If the collar and seals are the original I expect that the metal washers will still be in place. They are very important to getting a good seal. They apply uniform pressure to the packing washers so they expand and seal against the outside diameter of the tube.

The portion of the tube needs to be clean and smooth to ensure a good seal. The seal slides on the tube as the rear axle moves up and down.

I use a strap wrench to tighten the collar. The strap wrench applies uniform load around the full diameter of the collar. Any type of pliers or a pipe wrench applies pressure are only 2 points. That distorts the collar so it feels tight due to pressure at those 2 points. When you release the pliers or pipe wrench the collar returns to a circular shape.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The seal kit came in the mail. Will not have time to install it this week but plan to do this next week. Sons want to take a few hours each night after work to see if we can get it done in a week.

Was hoping to just top it off every now and then and make it through the the end of the season. Now it needs to be filled after every drive. Our drives have all been 15 miles or less to this point. Guess it has to be done now. Not surprised as we have no clue when this was last done.

Only other leak we have notice is some minor weeping from the oil pan and a bit out the valve cover. Not worried about the oil pan, Both my 04 Silverado and 87 Monte Carly weep more out the oil pan. The valve cover is minimal at this point. so it is not on the watch list for now.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Update on progress.

Thought this would be a 1 afternoon job, was wrong on that. took the seat out to have more room to work. Took the top two bolts out of the collar holding the torque tube ball on. My son under the car then stated that there was only one bolt. It appears the prior owner broke a bolt off in the transmission and tightened the remaining three and called it a day. Spent the next 1.5 hours teaching my son to drill out the bolt. He learned a new skill and lots of patients. Finally have everything disassembled and cleaned up.

Next chance we have time to work on it everything is laid out in order to reassemble.

Those videos are great. I have watched other ones of his also.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thought this would be a 1 afternoon job,
imsorry

Those videos are great
YES, only wish they were around 12 years earlier.

Good luck with the rest of this part.

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Your son may have learnt a new skill but how many naughty words did he learn, I would be very surprised if the afternoon went without a few being uttered, most mechanics have a fairly wide vocabulary of naughty words for those situations.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Torque tube is back together. My youngest did all of the work. I only checked that the bolts were tight and watched that things went together properly. Good learning experience for him. It did not leak overnight but we have not driven the car yet either.

The parking brake has not been connected since we received the car. Since we have the transmission tunnel cover is off and the seat is out we are going to do this next. Able to access the linkage from the top and bottom. Hope to have it on the road before the weekend.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 65 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,057
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.