Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#470877 06/14/22 09:50 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
Currently I do not have side view mirrors on the car, only the center one on the windshield. Backing it out the garage I suddenly realized how much I use these. I want one at least on the driver side. I am not concerned with factory at this time but do want it to look acceptable. Any suggestions on quality ones for a good price? How do these attach? What ones have you used? Pictures?

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Welcome to the challenging world of getting a decent rear view in these classic cars.

The car did not come from the factory with any external rear view mirrors. Whatever accessories were offered by a dealer gave some help. I have yet to find mirrors that give you the coverage we are used to modern cars.

Google is your friend in looking for mirrors. There are a variety of mirrors with different mouthing styles and locations.

The best solution I have found to date is 4” round mirrors that clamp on the edge of the door. The right one is slightly convex so I do get a somewhat larger view.

The real problem with the right mirror is locating it so you can actually see it from the driver’s seat.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
I was unaware they did not come with any at all. For some reason I thought that they would have at least had a driver's side. Shows what I know. Will start looking for a clamp on model then and not worry about where on the door it goes as long as we like the location then.

Main thing I noticed backing out of the garage was that I could not see the edges of the door and I knew it was not in there straight. Had the kids saying how close it was. should have thought to align the car before removing it from the dollies.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I found getting one for the driver’s side was easy. Several that I bought for the passengers side did not turn in far enough to be useful. I got mine on EBay.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Maybe that's why they took the one off the passenger side? I've got two coming, we'll see.

Last edited by Jonjet; 06/16/22 07:24 PM.

Jon T.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
Ordering the mirrors from Amazon today. Getting the set with flat glass for the driver and convex for the passenger. On the passenger side I am mainly looking to see the corner of the car for parking. If I have to lean a bit to use it that is ok. Driver's side is the one I would use while driving.

United Pacific 4-inch Curved Arm, Polished Stainless Steel Peep Mirror Bundle Set (L/H Flat Mirror & R/H Convex Mirror), Chrome Plated Arms - One Pair, (110742)

Amazon link to mirrors

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
This is accessory mirror offered for 1941. Clamped onto the door edge. Was also a peep mirror option that clamped onto the vent window drip shield

Attached Images
20220527_115441.jpg

1942 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
1942 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Cabriolet
Daryl B.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
The mirrors arrived and have them mounted. Mounted them to the top of the door frame just over the vent window. The driver's side is ok (not great) for driving use. The passenger side is useless for driving use. The passenger side is great for aiming at the back corner of the car. It will be a great help for backing and parking. They did not fit in front of the vent window due to the door gap being to small. I do like the look of them and the boys are happy too.

Attached Images
mirrors.jpg

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I am relatively satisfied with the mirrors I currently have on my ‘37. They are straight arm 4” mirrors that attach to the lip on the door frame. The right side is slightly convex. I did get a good view of the right lane with it. If I move my head some I can see the right. Rear corner of the car.

One trick I figured out was that I had to mount the right mirror higher of that door than the left one.

Attached Images
84CF9E79-1C8A-4C3D-ADBA-F3DACBBB5ABD.jpeg

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Rusty 37 Master
I am relatively satisfied with the mirrors I currently have on my ‘37. They are straight arm 4” mirrors that attach to the lip on the door frame. The right side is slightly convex. I did get a good view of the right lane with it. If I move my head some I can see the right. Rear corner of the car.

One trick I figured out was that I had to mount the right mirror higher of that door than the left one.

I had looked at mirrors similar to that. Issue I have is that the gap between the front of the door and the body is to small for the mirror's clamp to fit. Above the door the gap is large enough to mount it. When mounting it above the door I wanted it to bend down a little.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
5 members (Greg_H, ruscar, Dogbreath, minetto, 1 invisible), 76 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,070
Posts429,052
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.