Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
1950 Chevy deluxe 4 door. I had a guy work on my car and he adjusted my hood and hood latch. NOW it is stuck shut. The latch will not release the hood lock. How do I get it open? Maybe I need a way to remove the whole closer from the outside, or something. He really messed up a lot of things for me and I can't get anything done until I get the *!HB&* hood open. I feel like I'm ready to burn it!

Last edited by WI_Jeff; 06/02/22 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Does it open in the first notch or not at all?

Gene Schneider
WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Not at all.

WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Got 4 bolts out of the "catch" and it is still stuck. it is stuck in the middle of the hood by the latch. I thought I could lift the hood and the latch at the same time.

Last edited by WI_Jeff; 06/02/22 04:18 PM. Reason: Added info
ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Get an elephant or other heavy but soft thing to push down on the hood while activating the latch. You might have to put bolts back on the "catch" so you can relieve some pressure off the latch.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Tried that. It will not "unlatch".

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Even if you bounce up and down on it? Sometimes you can get it to move enough with a little extra "push".

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Running centered into a tree at moderate speed will surely cause it to pop up. I do not recommend that!!!!! Just saying?????

WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Tried keeping the lever pulled and pushing on it many times. It will "click" tight then when the lever is pulled it comes open about a 1/2 an inch. Not enough to hit the safety latch and will not open any more. It is really stuck! Don't tempt me about the tree, I've been trying to get it open for two days. Today I'm going to replace the bolts and again try to push down and try to pop it. Maybe I can move the latch far enough back (before snugging it tight) to get it open. I'm still open for any ideas.

Last edited by WI_Jeff; 06/03/22 06:56 AM. Reason: Added information
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
If the latch mechanism is the same as my 53 I can go take some pictures to post to help everyone visualize what you're dealing with and maybe help with the troubleshooting.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Here are photos of my 1950 hood latch mechanism before it was restored. I think the 1953 latch mechanism is different. Good Luck.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
What I cannot figure out is why the whole latch mechanism does not lift out with the hood. The mechanism looks the same as in my '50. I have the 4 screws removed and it will only lift up a half of an inch. I can lift slightly on the far right and far left of the hood so it is not stuck anywhere on the sides. It is stuck in the dead center of the latch. Going out now to put the screws back in and try not to get to frustrated while trying to get it open. I know if I get mad, I will damage something more. That I don't want to do.

rod Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Removing the bolts from the latch won't allow it to raise with the hood as the release handle is underneath the top hood bar. It sounds as the problem is the safety release latch located on the hood itself. Locate that and push the hood back down (yeah, with your finger in there) and try releasing the secondary.

rod
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I don't know if it's possible on the '50 but I do remember a LONG time ago when I was a body man having to remove the hinge bolts from under the car using a series of extensions on the ratchet so that we could lift the back of a hood to gain access to the sticking front. Maybe something to look at.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
UPDATE: It is not in the latch. The "pin" that goes through the latch moves. MY "Helper" adjusted the hood and the latch and now it is stuck on something besides the latch. Where else could it be stuck? Hoping I will not have to try to take apart from the back. I don't even know how I would get to the hinges because the way they sit. The spring is off and I have the latch all the way open.

Last edited by WI_Jeff; 06/03/22 12:45 PM. Reason: added info
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Lube the pivot points on the hinges.

Gene Schneider
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Just a thought but you might try buying or borrowing a borescope that you can feed through gaps into the engine compartment. Units that send a video to your cell phone are fairly cheap. That would let you see on the inside of the engine compartment and maybe find where it's binding. To build on Gene's post, lubricating the hood hinge points with white lithium grease is an excellent idea once you get it open. I can't tell you how many binding/misaligned hood hinges I fixed with simple lubrication. It's almost always overlooked during a lube & oil change.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I just talked to a restoration expert and was told to unscrew the pin that goes down through the latch. Then push the hood toward the back and lift at the same time. I also will lube the pivot points once it is open. I think I know where to borrow a scope. Thank you all for the input. I will try again tomorrow.

WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I cannot turn the 'pin". My hands are too big to get a screw driver in the right place and turn it. Got a cheap camera and really cannot see where it is sticking. Looking at photos I cannot understand why it does not lift up more than 1/4" with all the screws out. Not hitting any of the levers and not getting close to the safety catch. I can turn the bracket from side to side. The bracket will lift in the back (towards the radiator) but the front of the bracket will not lift at all. I might be able to get a thru socket on the top and remove the pin that way and see if that helps. Otherwise the next step will be trying to cut the pin with a saws-all and a long blade. I am about at my wits end. Four days and all I am doing it putting a few scratches on her. I am open for almost any suggestions, but don't temp me to smash her.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I am sorry to hear about how difficult this is. It can be frustrating.

If I might let me offer a different idea to consider. I offer this because you continue to post that the hood will not move much if at all even with the hardware removed.

Is it possible that the hood is caught somewhere else? When your helper closed it that last time did he really have to slam it shut and forced a metal lip over an edge or something like that. Or did he do something that has caused the hinges to bind? Did he force a rubber bumper into a hole?

It seems to me you might be reaching the point of insanity. Popular folklore attributes this definition of insanity to Einstein.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Here's another couple of suggestions for you that could go under the 'last resort" heading, especially if all else fails;
1) Disconnect all the bolts holding the grille and latch assembly to the fenders, inner fenders and front splash pan and carefully lift the hood up with the grille attached. Might be wise to have a helper with you. It's no big deal to disconnect the wiring to the parking lights somewhere to give you "wiggle room". Then you can access the latch assembly from behind and see how to get the latch to release.
2) Remove the entire "front clip" (fenders and grille) to access the hood latch easily. I think the hood has to come off as well. Means a bit more work to put it all back together, but it can be done.
Just some idle thoughts for you to ponder!!
Good luck!! Please do keep us informed!!
George

WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
After a week, THE HOOD IS OPEN! Well, when I got "Maddy" home, something just didn't look quite right under the hood. (What I found out:) What my "helper" did was pull the radiator and mount to swap the engine. When he put it back in he turned the radiator mount backwards. He said he did this in order for the longer '56 engine to fit in the '50. He tried using the adapter plate for the water pump but did not push enough water and she got hot. He told me that he knew what he was doing and had gotten it fixed. The radiator bolts were too long because they caught lip of the hood brace held the hood shut. Getting up inside and prying the hood away from the bolts got it open. At least I know what I do to get everything fixed. I will pull the radiator and mount and move the radiator mount just so it clears the fan. The moral of this story is don't believe everything everybody tells you. Make sure to check over the work you have someone else do. Darn I wish I was younger to be able to do all the work myself. (And never let anyone mess with your hood!)

2 members like this: Clement, Harpo
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
That is great news! Thanks for the update.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Wow! Glad to hear you got it open and can fix the problem. Never would have guessed that.

Dean 50 - VCCA #44675

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
5 members (36chvtruck, JasonfromCanada, Chipper, 2 invisible), 67 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,076
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.