Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#470601 06/07/22 06:44 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Just finished doing my brakes on the 41 coupe. After some aggravation getting one of the rear drums on (had to pry the park brake lever toward the rear) I finally finished up. Although I had a brand new set of linings handy, I elected to just use the old ones. They looked good but probably weren't. Read on.

I took it for a drive to seat the linings and to get all shoes rea∂y for final adjustment. Ran right through the stop sign at the end of the block. Went on around the block twice doing hard stops and riding the brakes. Not much improvement.

Rather than go through the brakes again, I'll just do what you guys that have 35s or earlier Chevrolets do. That is, attach a length of stout rope to the rear bumper and secure the other end to a easily reached cement block there in the cabin with you. Should work for a 41 too. Agrin

Car need washing so I got my shammie, wash pad, water hose and favorite bucket out for the suds. I was ready. But, then, owing to the car sitting in the sun, I decided to relocate it under one of my pecan trees. That bucket cost me somewhere in the neighbor of fourteen bucks. I forgot, however, where I had put the bucket and proceed in running right over it. It is pretty squashed and junk now.

Anyway, tired and disgusted with myself for not installing the new shoes while I had the brakes apart and bucket destruction, after the wash job I pulled the car back in to the garage, put a car cover over it (I wanted that infrequent wash job to last more than just a day or so) and called it a day.
I'm almost 88 and don't need this aggravation.

Pray for me, I need it.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: I'm a movie nut/buff and watch a lot of stuff on Netflix and Prime. I want to pose a question. Background: over a long time viewing many movies, I've noticed something that I can't explain and seems odd to me. What seems strange is that no matter the age or make of vehicle, when they are filmed coming to a stop, invariably you can hear the brakes squeal. danceWhy is that?

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Sound effects.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I take it that tomorrow's job is going to be uncovering the car and putting on the brake shoes that you should have put on in the first place, right? I'll pray for you.....that the car will start and not cause you even more aggravaation!!

Last edited by kaygee; 06/07/22 11:58 PM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You posted a good article previously on brake adjustment Charlie on the Huck brakes. At least you didnt drive over your glasses.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I had a similar problem with my 48. Had a leaky front wheel cylinder. My buddy came over and we changed out the from wheel cylinders. Thought the linings were ok. I took it for a drive after he left and it scared my big time. Still haven't got the linings changed.

1946 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Purchased 11/18/17 Sold 9/20
1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe, Purchased 6/20/2010
1965 Chevy ll 350 Purchased Feb 2021. 3-speed Saginaw Hurst Floor Shifter 3.08 Rear End

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Charlie I think I know the problem. You are trying to get a 41 to stop right? I got smart and got rid of my 41 and bought a 38. They work so much better Lol!!!!!!!

Since you are 88 I'm was wondering, just how did you ever get off the MTA? Did George T Rilley get elected?

John EF Schildberg III
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Boy it has been a long time since I thought about Poor Old Charlie ‘neath the streets of Boston!

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Just wait 'til I lay eyes on you smart-alacks!

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: I may have given the wrong direction to force the park brake lever that hooks to the cable in the rear Huck brakes. It should be forced toward the rear not the front. Toward the front, as in the travel of the cable when the park brake is activated, expands the radius of the shoes. You want to reduce that radius so you can get the drum on.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Charlie I'm sorry what I said about the 41 Chevys. Here is a picture of my 41 when I was in high school. I wish I had it back.

Attached Images
IMG_4678.jpg Sorry Charlie.jpg

John EF Schildberg III
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
No need for an apology.

Yes, 41 5-passengers had a great body style. dance

Best,

Charlie computer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.