Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi all... I just bought a 1934 Master 2 door sedan... it is all complete... nothing missing... has sat in a barn for 60 years... antifreeze/water drained from radiator and engine block, when stored... oil looks decent... engine turns over easily by hand..... So what to I put down the cylinders & how much, (after pulling plugs).... and I guess I pull the pan and clean out the old oil, and put in new..... get a 6 volt battery and check the wiring for shorts.. then do I put in new plugs, distributor cap, points, condenser, plug wires and coil...rebuild carb....? and crank it over...? What is your advice on starting this beauty.. after sitting so long..??

Last edited by WildernessTruck; 06/01/22 11:55 PM.

1934 Chevrolet Master sedan
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I would also address the fuel system. Tank, lines, fuel pump, and carb. The carb and fuel pump would have pre ethanol components.

If old gas or varnish gets into the head you may stick your valves and the work will expand.

I probably would not replace the old Delco-Remy parts unless they were obviously defective but would round up a few new condensers and maybe a coil to have on hand if needed.

Sounds like a nice car, have fun!

Dave

Last edited by Dave39MD; 06/01/22 06:05 AM.
1 member likes this: Clement
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The oil always looks good after long storage because all the "dirt" settles to the bottom of the pan.
Best to drop the pan before starting.
Would oil up the valve guides/stems good with a good solvent and the light oil.
I would put about an ounce of ATF in each cylinder a day before starting so it soaks past the rings.
After long storaage the oil pump screen is often rusted away and new ones ae difficult to find. If you need one I have one left, see ad in parts for sale.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 06/01/22 08:44 AM.

Gene Schneider
1 member likes this: Clement
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Great advice from our experts !! Best of luck and please send us pictures/video !!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
While all the above advise is sound, I wouldn't follow any of it. You can do most of that stuff later. For right now do the following so that you know something about the engine before doing all that annoying, dirty work:

a. Clean the plugs and while they're out spray some WD-40. MM oil or as Gene advised advised ATF in there.

b. Having the car outside any buildings, with water in the radiator and the car away from critters, use your jumper cables and hook it up to a 12 volt battery. Have all other draws off except the ignition. Have your garden hose turned on and a fully charged fire extinguisher handy.

c. Use some starter fluid and spray a generous amount down the carburetor as you crank it over.

d. If it fires up let it run for a few revolutions, listen some and then turn the engine off.

e. Now you have satisfied your compelling curiosity and can now go through all the nasty stuff others have advised like:

1. Drain gas tank.

2. Clean pan, oil screen and change oil.

3. Check fuel pump for leaks.

4. Check carburetor, etc.

5. Buy new 6 volt battery. All are good but some are better usually in direct correlation to cost. Generally and as in many things, you get what you pay for.

6. Tinker with whatever comes up that you can't not do or can't resist just messing with. You'll have the satisfaction that after hearing it run for a minute or two you can get on with the tough stuff, as applicable.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: Toss the "fulton" if it has one, The car (and your associates) will appreciate it and be much more inclined to strive for ever increasing excellence as time goes on. Will too! Agrin

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Charlie.. what is the 'fulton'.... that I am to toss...? All good advice.... I wish I could post photos now ... but copy and past doesn't work here for me... don't I need a membership to post photos..?

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Warning: The following post is long and may not worthy of you time. It is intended to merely answer WT;s inquiry and clarify my position on outside visors for those who don't already how I feel about the things.. dance There is no intent to step on anyones grave here. Open/read at your own risk.

WT,

Thanks for the opportunity to shed some some light here.

A "fulon" is a low class outside sun shade. Except for the outside sun shades on he early fifties Chevrolets, they were ugly as home-made soap and blocked one's view of stoplights, tall buildings, circling buzzards and UFO's. (The buzzards mistake some "fulton's" for ripe roadkill that didn't quite make is over the top of the windshield. Buzzards have right good eyesight but owing to exceptional smelling ability, they may mistake the "fulton" for a caucus of some long dead animal. You know. You "fulton" owners may notice buzzards following you around town. Should be right embarrassing.

No highly cultured person would ever even consider installing one on any old car. Most of them you see on cars other than those mentioned for the early 50's Chevrolets looked like they were made from tin debris found scattered about after a tornado has passed through and destroyed some barns roofs.

They should never ever be displayed on a but some Fleetliner's may have them even though I suspect they are frowned on by most of that set of highly cultured groupies. Fleetliner's who display "fultons' on their cars may not be given a chance to RSVP an invite to tea and scones on a manicured lawn. Go figure.

They seem to be favored and popular among old car enthusiasts out west especially in CA. Out there, i think they ("fulton's") have a following by those who have a desire to make their car stand out and be admired for its modifications, personalization, etc. Whatever. Note: I'm trying to be a kind, uncondinsending and s "stand up" here. Am too!

Every time I see a low grade "fulton" my up-chuck reflexes kick in and I must quickly look away before either losing my lunch or eyesight. Even so the sight is impregnated on my retinas similar to the Disney's ride and hearing the accompanying song "It's a small word" annoyingly lingers in your mind well afterwards and far into the night. Hard to shake the image in the first case and the sound in the second. Is too!

Women luv2don't like "fultons." If they say they do they are only yielding to pressure to just get along and go with the flow or have no means of leaving. They merely "put another log on the fire." You know. They think that 1941's are beautiful. Do too. If you have a "fulton" on your car and your wife will ride in it with you without complaint then you surely have a jewel. Speaking of which you should honor her for putting up with your poor taste, in everything but her of course, ever chance you get by buying her diamonds and do so often. Except for looking for something to wear at a funeral, skip the Car Hart section section at Tractor Supply and save the money for buying her some jewelry. Diamonds are best. Owing to that ugly "fulton" she richly deserves diamonds. Large ones. Does too!

I think you may be right on non-members not being able to post pictures. A moderator may enlighten us on that topic.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: Over time, I may come like "fultons." Just after a professor told the class that positive words could never be taken as having a negative meaning, "Yeah, Rght." was heard from the back of the classroom. Or as John Wayne put it "That'll be the day." Agrin

See the attachment. This may be typical of a home where the husband favors "fultons."

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 06/02/22 06:59 AM.
1 member likes this: Hendo
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Wow... couldn't you be kind to us all and just have said... remove the ugly visor above the windshield ... if it has one... My '34 master doesn't by the way...

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I think Charlie has been hitting the juice lately. devildance

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Maybe Charlie happened to look out his living room window and saw 2 '41 Chevs drive by his place, each sporting a Fulton visor. He's so upset he just had to vent to the rest of us. But it's OK by me - I understand!!!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
To clarify one point, you do not need to be a VCCA member to post photos.

Click on the 'Use Full Editor' below to compose your post and then click on the Attachment Manager link to add photos to your post.

BTW, if you want to give a photo a caption, you have to type the caption into the little window BEFORE you add the photo. The caption is not something that can be added or edited later.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Dean,

Thanks for noticing that question in my instant tirade re "fultons" and letting us know about a non-member's ability to post photographs. I was not sure one way or the other. hood

Best,

Charlie computer

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Lots of good ideas here. One thing I like to do before turning or trying to start an engine that has been sitting is to overfill the engine with lots of some oil- auto trans fluid is good. I think that many rear seals-rope or otherwise would benefit from lubrication before the crank is turned, also it doesn't hurt the crank bearings to have oil seep into them while being submerged in oil.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
A 1934 does not have a rear main seal....or a timing cover seal.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.