Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#469815 05/15/22 09:54 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Folks, my name is Robert and I am helping my uncle Dave get his 1929 Chevy pickup running correctly. First a brief history of the pickup. My uncle did a lot of the restoring work himself but had the motor rebuilt by someone with very good credentials. All was well until about 2 years ago when, after driving the vehicle the previous two days it failed to start on the 3rd day. The motor worked (the previous 2 days) as it should with nothing unusual that might indicate a problem. Since that day he has replaced the carb (still would not start) but not much else. It then sat for more than a year. This is where I come in. I have replaced the cap, rotor, points, and condenser. I added some fresh gas and was able to get the motor running but not running well. I have tried to adjust the distributor as well as the only 2 adjustment screws I can find on the very simple, up-draft carb. No matter what I do the motor is still running rough and increasing RPM only makes things worse. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like you should be able to turn the distributor left or right and the motor would smooth out. This is not the case, and I am surprised at how far I have to turn the distributor in either direction before it has any noticible effect. I have a timing light but not sure how to time this motor. I am aware of the site hole in the bell housing and the 12d stamp but would like more clarification. Another direction would be to convert it to electronic ignition. Has anyone done this? Right now It is the original 6volt system. I will attach a quick video so you can hear what it sounds like. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

Attached Images
PXL_20220515_194137439.MP.jpg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Here is a better picture of my uncle and his beautiful 1929.

Attached Images
PXL_20220515_194151003.MP.jpg
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
wel2 parking
Welcome Robert! You'll find all your answers here. Someone with much more experience than me will be along soon to help you out. I'll move this to one of the technical forums so you get a wider audience of skilled VCCA members.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Another welcome to our site. We should be able to help with your problem.

My best guess is the problem is electrical with weak spark. Check all wires and connections to be sure they are in good condition and tight. On several occasions I have needed to clean new points to get a good spark. It is easy to check the spark. Remove the center wire to the cap and the distributor cap. Hold the end of the wire about 3/8 to 1/2 inch from a ground and manually open and close the points. You should get a spark to jump a 1/2 inch gap and make a "snap" sound. Next short across the points with a screwdriver or coin or other metal object. Is the spark better? If so clean the points with file, fine sand paper, crisp dollar bill, wife's emery board or other abrasive material and check again. If sill no "snappy" spark, make sure condenser case is grounded. If still problem try another condenser. Could be the coil but generally they are okay until they heat up.

It is possible for the ignition switch is bad. Take the positive wire off the coil and with ignition switch on pass the wire end next to a ground. There should be a spark. Not as strong as with the center coil wire but noticeable even in the light. If not check the ignition switch and wiring.

If you still have a problem come back with your findings and we will go to step two or three or ?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
When viewing that spark that Chip was talking about, it really should be a nice blue spark not orange.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Robert48,
Seeing as you have moved the distributor seeking smoother operation, the tune-up specs should be known. I typed 'tune-up recommendations chevy 194 engine' on google. Then I scrolled down to find 'vccachat.org' with a title "1929 6 Cylinder Factory Timing/ Tune-Up Specs - VCCA Chat". These discussions will help you to know both factory stock and VCCA recommended settings. After you find that you have good spark, then work to get the tune-up settings of your choice set. If you ask why the VCCA recommendations vary from stock settings, modern fuel may be a main reason.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The original gas had an approximate octane rating of 50-60. That is much faster burning than the modern mid-80s octane regular. So to get the maximum horsepower the compressed gas/air mixture in the cylinder needs a little faster and hotter spark hence the VCCA recommended settings.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you all so much for the recommendations and suggestions! I will give them all a try and get back to you all. Thank you Again! Robert

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.