Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#469906 05/18/22 02:30 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Time to replace the radiator in my '38 Master Deluxe. Having a hard time cooling in the TX heat. Last time out, it overflowed in the garage just as I got home. Now that the water evaporated, there is a nice little pile of rusty power on the floor.

I see one at the Filling Station - but they don't have any pictures. The part that is in the car now is a Harrison 3112127 Date Code 38H. Which would align with a build date of May '38.

While the car has been in the family since new, there may have been some part swapping over the years. I went through that when I replaced the carburetor.

Is the Harrison 3112127 the correct radiator for the Master Deluxe?

Attached Images
profile.JPG

Originally owned by my Great Grandfather. Restored by my Dad. Now up to me to keep it going.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
h
H would be August and 38 the year.
There is no 3112127 in the parts book but 3112128 s listed for a 1939 passenger car.
The 1938 tank/core is listed as 3109032.
I doubt if a 1939 core would fit in a 1938 but ???
Note that in 1937, 1938 and 1939 the Master radiator had more COOLING FINS than a Master Deluxe due to the 3,73 rear axle ratio ratio putting more load on the engine. The Master used a larger fan blade as well.
If you bought a new radiator for a Master Deluxe you got a Master radiator.
They all had the same number on the tank as that is actually the tank number and the same tank was used on both models, just the core was different.

Also if you replace the radiator the block should be fully cleaned out also as the rust that is in the block is what is plgging up the radiator and causing the engine to over heat.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
This is what is currently is in there -

Attached Images
12D62F25-80E8-4024-85C7-53D9B1D0D0E3.jpeg

Originally owned by my Great Grandfather. Restored by my Dad. Now up to me to keep it going.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
If the fins are still ok on the core, and no leaks , a radiator shop may be able to take the top tan off and rod out the vertical passages. The top inlet fitting may be rusted away and not deflecting the coolant away from the filler cap.

JACK
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Most older radiator shops will be able to do as Jack suggests (and I recommend as well). While the radiator is out remove the water pump and freeze plugs and scratch and flush as much of the lower water jackets as possible, you will be surprised how much rust is collected in there. I had my 38 block tank cleaned prior to machining but scratched another cup full of rust out of it afterwards.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I agree with those who advised finding a radiator shop that will you a rodding job, i,e, taking the top tank off, boiling the core with bottom tank, rodding out the flues and fixing the leaks after reassembly and testing.

I doubt many shops will do that now. If you do and there are minor, tiny leaks detected you can use some stop leak and that may seal up sufficiently for your purposes. "Solder Seal "come to mind.

My father ran a radiator shop for many years and installed new cores, if needed (Harrison for GM cars and McCord for Ford and Chrysler ones), but most went through the rodding process. A few flues that can't either be rodded out or have too much damage or rot can be eliminated if needed and still function satisfactorily. I worked and apprenticed with him from about 1944 until 1954 when I volunteered for the draft and did a two year hitch in the army.

I ran the shop from July 56 to February 58 when I closed it and went back in the army for 18 more years. (First good career decision I ever made.)

I still have a few old NOS radiators upstairs in the garage. I'll check to see what I have.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: Simply boiling over after a run may be the result of over filling the radiator and always caused by overheating owing to the radiators ability to cool as intended. Water expands when heated so you need to leave enough room in the top tank to prevent discharge of coolant when it's hot and especially just after stopping the engine. Owing to this water expansion factor overflow tanks were invented for the hard-headed ones of us who practice overfill filling because we want all the coolant in there that can be had. Generally the overflow tube will take care of the excess but it will make itself evident on the floor of the garage or someone's nice driveway.

BTW2: A back-flush may help some of the flues the have been plugged by rust but only the ones loose enough and necessary to succumb to the pressure and not the more stubborn ones. Usually a proper back flush even using a Kalamazoo water and air adaptor is just masking the problem and any success will be short lived. dance

BTW3: I wholeheartedly agree that removing the water pump and foundry molding residue access ports (freeze plugs) is a good idea. By itself not very effective. You can also back flush the block via the petcock at the rear of the block on the driver's side. Only thing is some of the smaller passages in the engine are had where the the head meets the block and thus will be difficult to clean except tank boiling with a chemical solution. Engine rebuild shops offer this service. But, well, you know, that entails a heap of decision not easy to be made.

BTW4: I also checked 1929-48 parts book and see that Gene was correct. As he almost always is. You know. bowdown

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
And once the cooling system has been properly cleaned do not use straight water but a 55/50 antifreeze mix. This will prevent further rust problems.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pops36, 1 invisible), 75 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,063
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.