Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#469677 05/09/22 03:24 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Would anyone happen to have pictures of the outer service brake and the inner e-brake? I believe I have a 1917 or 1918 490 rear end. I have to have the outer relined and don't have the upper and lower clips. So I will have to make them. The inners are already relined but a good picture of the bolt, spring anchor of the rear also. Any pictures of them up close would help a lot!
Thanks Rooster

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You can take a look on my blog on Wordpress, which I use as a website (with ads), page Bromsar, hjul 2013/14 (Brakes, wheels 2013/14). The text is in swedish language.
Click on a picture to get better width, still good resolution. Then use the "Back"on your browser.
I guess I have quite a lot of other pictures from this renovation. So if there are som details that you are intrested in, please let me know and I will take look.

Last edited by swedechev; 05/21/22 12:49 PM.

Per-Åke Larsson
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks swedchevy I looked through some of the posts today. Very informative and I like the pictures. I have the e brake bands and will probly need to sand them down a bit like you did! The clips on the service bands are visable and I can see the straps and there shape, so I think I can make them. Since were on this, your picture of the brakes before the clean up. Theres grease on everyrhing, I have read about some felts (or modern seal) that go on the axle to stop grease from leaking but not sure where they go? Any pictures of the brakes cleaned up before putting the drum on?
Thanks Rooster

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Felt seals: Again you can take a look on my blog on Wordpress page Drivning 2012/13/14 (Drivetrain 2012/13/14). Just scroll down a little, and you'll find Figure 80 from the Repair Manual 1918-1924. (The text is in swedish language.) Note that the figure shows 1922-1924 models, but I think that the drive axle end, the hub and the brakes are identical on earlier models.
I found nowhere to buy the felt seals so I had a shop to make them. I had no measures, so I had the outer seals made too thick. So I made seals myself, from more soft felt, and so far I have not noticed any leakage. The inner seals were also a little too big, so I had to press the quite hard. Maybe that is why I so far has noticed no leakage...
Pictures of the brakes before putting the drum on: How about these? After you open the pictures I guess you'll have to wait a couple of seconds before they ar downloaded with full resolution.

Per-Åke Larsson
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you again Swedechevy! I finally had time to reline the outer brake bands! I had problems with the ebrake bands fitting the drum, like you did. I had to file them down to get the drum to fit. The outers were not to bad.
If anybody needs very good and detailed pics and explaination of most any thing on a 490 you need to check out his site! Its hard to find much early info except on this site and his!
Kustomrooster

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.