Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am trying to start my engine that was rebuilt recently (original Stovebolt Six Cylinder with updraft carb.) but hasn't been started in over six months. Note, outside temperature was about 60 deg. F and I was choking it on each start while also manipulating the throttle arm.

After about 5 or 6 tries, I got it to fire for about 10 seconds and then it shut-off. After about 2 or 3 more attempts, it started again for a few seconds and shutoff again. The next few times I tried, gas started to pour out of the carburetor, so I stopped.

I've read a few other posts where the condenser was the issue, but I've also read several posts about the carburetor float causing the issue. I wasn't sure if the carburetor would flood eventually because of too many attempted starts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Focus on the float and needle valve.

If the condenser was the problem I expect that either the engine would not start at all or it would run longer that 10 seconds. Then it would stop after the condenser got warmer.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Will do, thanks!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Static time it at 12degrees before top dead center, the mark is on the flywheel. Don’t forget to pull your spark retard knob out and turn it over in neutral without the clutch pedal depressed. Usually when a lot of gas comes out of the carb it’s the float itself or float valve. If by just turning the motor over without choking and gas comes out of the carb, it’s definitely the float or valve. My own 31 would start easily with virtually no choking but then one day refused to with gas running out of the carb. It turns out my float was so full of gas you couldn’t even feel it moving in the float. Now with a good float and new valve, I always have to almost full choke it for a second or two while turning it over then it will fire and run.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I'm interested in the ignition timing and will do some more research to better understand it.

Interestingly, after letting the car sit for two days after my original issue above, and before I tore into the carburetor, I decided to start it one more time. My reasoning was that the first time I tried to start it, the gas had been sitting for several months and now that fresh gas has been in the system for a few days, maybe it helped clear any contaminates clogging the carb.

I used full choke and after two or three tries, it started and continued to run. I turned it off and tried again to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and it started on the first try and continued to run. It was a great feeling!

On to the next step of the restoration.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.