Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
1945 truck interior paint application, Phase 2

Phase 1 was about original War Time colors. That thread can be found in category 1942-45 Military and Commercial Vehicles. I am now confidant enough about colors to start painting.

I have purchased from Jim Carter Truck Parts, a quart of Turret Gray, Grill & Bumper Paint, 43-45 Chevy. PT100. More specifically it is Commercial Performance Coatings, ALK-200, by PPG. It is an Acrylic Modified Alkyd Enamel with Xylene which can be used as a thinner or clean up. It comes pre-mixed for compressed air conventional spray equipment, 40-50 psi at gun with 1.3-1.7 fluid tip.

However, as a retired wood furniture maker, I have a 10 year old HVLP sprayer. I want to use it to apply this paint to my dash. In other words, a highly visible area, so must come out Factory! (For info on why I’m using Grill & Bumper paint on the dash, see previous thread.)

In the paint literature, it specifies this pre-mixed paint can be used in an HVLP sprayer rated at 10 psi with same size spray tip as for conventional gun. Problem is, my sprayer only produces 4 psi. Any comments?

On paint viscosity, the sprayer literature describes using their “viscosity stick”, paint should come off stick in drops one second apart. It comes off a little quicker than that, so I’ll use their needle and nozzle for “Thinner” material. It definitely does not need to be thinned, as all of my wood finishes did.

So before I get going, does anyone have any advice? I know about sanding down to bare metal with a grit that will leave some “tooth”, having everything clean, address dust & temp, those type of basics. Paint instructions call for 2 coats, but I think I want 4, 10-15 minutes between coats. Instructions don’t mention primer. With all rust having been sanded off, is there any benefit in “pickling” with say, POR15 Metal Prep?

Thanks,

Jake

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I read the same post in another forum and it's best to only post the same info in only one forum . As a VCCA member you might want to review the articles posted by Dave Sylvain in the G&D as it covers the steps in preparation for painting and restoration.

Steve D
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
It’s a good idea to apply an epoxy primer as close to the metal as possible over 80 grit sanded surface. This prevents rusting. The next covering, a surfacer, is intended to hide any surviving scratches and surface issues…. The last coat is for protection and color.

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.