Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
V91 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to buy complete tops for my 1925 Superior K Touring?

BR
Nils P
Norway

1925 Superior K Touring Project
1926 Superior V Touring Original Condition
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
When you say complete do you mean just the fabric covering or do you mean irons, bows, and the fabric covering? I do not think there is anything you will be able to buy off the shelf. Whatever you are missing will have to be fabricated. The '25 touring I bought last year needs the fabric top replaced. At least I have a start, the irons, and bows are in good shape and I have most of the fabric top. I am lucky, it was mainly just the seams that ripped out on mine.

V91 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you for your reply!

I have the original, but it needs much love. Much more love than I can give I. Se attached picture from when I started restoration in 2008. But it is most valuable if I must make a new.

I have been told that it was possible to buy the covering complete, but the shop is closed down. I have irons. The bows I can copy. As I am closing in on completion of the restoration, I am eager to be finished as soon as possible. Any shortcuts is most welcome!

Attached Images
IMG_2155.JPG 20220420_200506.jpg

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
By the pics you have done a real god job of the restoration so far, I can understand your wish to get the top correct as well. You are further advanced in a much shorter time than I am with my 38.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
V91 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you, I have been on and off many times. I have had a lot of help from to older friends who know these cars very well from several restorations.

Now it is running and I wait for the registration plates. I have to ensure the government that the car really is mine of course, but as my father bought the car as a wreck to build up another car, 1926-model, the contract from 1964 does not fulfill the governments requirements. So my application is still under processing deep in the dungeons of the Norwegian bureaucracy... Meanwhile I must take on the top.

I hope that the registration is ok by 17th of May, it is the national day in Norway and a perfect day for some slow cruising in an old Chevy!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Your '25 looks very nice. With the left hand steering was it an import from North America? You were lucky to have, or find those early '25 4 lug disc wheels. I am sure in Norway they are even more rare than here in the states. Keep the front hubs greased well because all of those parts are getting much tougher to find. Especially a one, or partial year part like those and many others that are on that car.

From the remains of the fabric top you have a good upholstery shop should be able to get you a top that will be close to original. It still could be $2,000 usd.

You are very close to completion. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Nils, some other suggestions for you to mull over!! If there is no upholstery shop in your area, would there be a shop that caters either to a)making awnings or tarpaulins for buildings or trucks, b)covers for pleasure boats. If you have the original top material a place like either of the above might have a material that comes close to your original fabric and would be able to make up a top for you using your original fabric as a pattern.

One other suggestion - please do not "cut corners" to get your car on the road as quickly as possible. That temptation is great for any restorer to do, and I'm sure some readers on here could tell you some horror stories about what happened when they did just that. But then, I doubt if we'll ever hear about them because who would want to admit to such folly.
Good luck with your car and please do let us know how it all turns out.

George

V91 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you all, cars were expensive in Norway, and we were poor in those days. There are at least 12 1925-Chevy`s registered in Norway. After the tough twenties, the war and the rebuild, it was not allowed to import cars until 1961 as it was considered "luxury". So all the vehicels were worn out. Willy jeeps, kübelwagens, T-Ford, A-Ford etc were in regular use until mid 60`s in another way than in the US.

About "cutting corners". If it is possible to get a nearly complete top instead of making a completely new from scratch, that will be my way of "cutting corners". We have rebuilt the seats from scratch so I have an idea of how timeconsuming a new top will be. I have found a upholstry shop which may be willing to help me out. And I am lucky to have the old although it is very worn and battered.

I will keep you posted!

From 1924/1925, cars sold in Scandinavia was assembled in a factory in Copenhagen, Denmark. The cars arrived in different state of completion. Some were probably "CKD", Completely Knocked Down, others more or less complete. I have not been able to find out about that yet. I will look more into the history when my car is finished.

You can tell that a car is assembled in Copenhagen from the chassisnumber which starts with the letters XBxxxx. Mine has XB2K746 which I think makes it 1925 Superior K number 746 assembled in Denmark. It was registered first time 6th of May 1925.

Interesting is the original brochure where the 1925 Superior K is shown with 6 lug steel wheels, while all the early Superior K I know of has 4 lugs. There where two different Tourings available. The simple "Touring" which was dark blue, probably like the one available in the US, and with spokes made of wood. In addition Chevrolet offered the more exclusive "Sport Touring" with steel discs, "fat-man wheel", polished aluminium instrument board, (check out the details in the attached picture. It took me quite a few hours of planning and trying/failing before I was satisfied) nickelplated doorhandles on the outside, protection on the step plates, nickeled bumpers etc. This version was available in a greygreen duco color shown on my car. I wonder if it is the same color as mentioned in the US-brochures as "Buckingham Gray"? The color I have is "black olive/schwarz oliven" which I have seen on several Norwegian cars. But my car had a slightly more yellow tone, more like "yellow oliven/gelb oliven". I chose the first one as I consider it more "classy".

Attached Images
Skjermbilde 2.JPG Skjermbilde.JPG

1 member likes this: jtroberts64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
6 members (Rusty 37 Master, Nick_in_Manitou, kaygee, 3 invisible), 101 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.