Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#469232 04/23/22 10:28 AM
Nayti Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My 1922 touring has a really grabby clutch. How much neatsfoot oil can I add and what is the recommended procedure to apply it.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Nayti #469284 04/24/22 03:10 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
You can oil the clutch by going under the car and turning the clutch. I put a two × four on the clutch pedal to hold it down so it will turn. You don't need a lot of oil.
You may also want to adjust the screws that go into the springs that make the leather band touch the cone. If they are not out to a point then to much of the band grabs all at once. You may have to try this several times to find the correct position. I was under my car a lot to find the correct position.
My clutch was engaging so fast that it was spinning the rear wheels.

Last edited by Mike1922; 04/24/22 03:13 PM.
Nayti #469299 04/25/22 05:28 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
From the Service Manual (1919): "... turn each of the expander nuts in the same direction as the hands of a clock, right to left, until they lightly touch the clip, then give them a half turn on the opposite direction."

From the Repair Manual 1918-1924: "To adjust the expanders, turn each of the expander nuts from right to left until a thickness gauge about .005 of an inch in thickness can be placed between the nut and clip".

I think Mike 1922 is right, you don't need a lot of oil. In the end of 2006, the same year as I had bought my 1922, the leather split in parts and fell off. When I installed a new leather I used a paintbrush to put neats foot oil on the outer surface, quite generous but only once. The clutch worked fine, after 50-100 miles I adjusted the expanders two or three times.

One year later, when I made a major ovorhaul of the engine, I checked the leather. I looked fine, so I just put a little neats foot oil on the surface. After one or two adjustments of the expanders the clutch has been working fine during 18 000 miles driving. No grabbing, no slipping. When I checed the clutch I also noticed traces of motor oil the inside of the cone, and also some on the leather. I guess some motor oil that lubricates the balls for the "Clutch Spring Tensinon Rod" finds a way to the cone, but I don't know wich way.

Per-Åke Larsson

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.