Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#469140 04/21/22 12:57 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
1950 Chevy truck
Chevy 235. Some small performance mods but nothing crazy at all. (.30 over, 4 barrel carb, fentons , mild cam)

I need a radiator but can't decide. Aluminum or Brass/copper.

What do you guys prefer? I'm leaning towards a 3 row brass.

The truck is lowered old school with a drop axle so I'm going for an original style looking radiator if possible . I know they make aluminum with stamped tops .

Just reaching it to see how many of you would still use a brass radiator if you were in my shoes. I've read that aluminum is lighter but more prone to leaking? Is any of this true? And something with if it's not properly grounded the electrolysis or something will cause the aluminum radiator to fail.

I feel that brass radiators have lasted this long it should still be a good choice. I like the idea of a 3 row .

1936 Chevy Coupe. All Original
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I would go with the brass unit over the alloy. If a brass unit happens to develope a leak nearly anyone can easily solder it up and seal it where a alloy unit is basically a throw away. I dont know the price comparison between the 2 but I recently paid close to $900 Aus for a brass radiator for my 38 truck.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I would definitely go with the brass/copper for all the reasons listed above. As Tony noted the brass/copper can be repaired if needed while the aluminum may be originally less expensive replacement is the usual "repair".

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I recently got a new 3-row copper radiator core for my '27 truck and it cools fantastically. I reused the original brass tanks.

The cost was $760 and the work was done by an old school, local, single person radiator shop.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
My father was a radiator man back in the forties and fifties. After working with him during those years and for a short stent on my own after he got out of the business, I would say that the advice thus far received is sound. dance Accordingly, I add my vote for brass/copper, as well.

Good luck with whatever you choice happens to be.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
There are 2 major differences between aluminum and brass/copper radiators. They are opposites so that is why there is no "one size fits all" answer.

Copper/brass is much better with respect to heat transfer rate. That is the reason a radiator exists so a copper/brass radiator excels in this area.

The major advantage of aluminum is the higher strength of the material. The walls of the tubes can be thinner and still handle the same pressures. This means that a higher pressure copper/brass radiator weighs more than an aluminum one.

One other concern is that aluminum radiators are more active form an electrolysis standpoint. this will lead to pitting and deuteriation of the aluminum radiator. That is why is is important that there are good grounds for an aluminum radiator and that the coolant is changed on a regular basis.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you all for the info. I've been trying to figure it out for a couple days before I posted this and it's definitely more of a " apples to oranges" kind of deal.

I ended up buying my brass/copper radiator from Chevs of the 40s.

I called them before ordering to see what brand or country they come from. To my surprise they are U.S Radiator brand and they are all made here in USA.

I just got my chevy 235 fired up. I'll get a video and post it soon.

Thanks again everyone

1936 Chevy Coupe. All Original
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I think you will be pleased with your choice. Thanks for the update.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.