Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rossco Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
i have shimmed the ball collar so its just a nice fit without being to tight .but when i installed cork gasket at back of collar it is super tight and cant move ball assembly any suggestions .thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
When properly adjusted the ball housing should be difficult to move by hand but not require a hammer. I try to adjust to move with a hit with the heal of my hand. My suggestion is to let the cork gasket compress and lubricate as best you can. If the ball is painted the paint might be rough enough against the cork to significantly hinder movement. I personally haven't used the cork ring gasket in many years. Instead I install an O-ring that seems to work as well or better.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The last ball housing I assembled was a real bear to fit with the cork gasket. I had to reduce the thickness of the cork by sanding it on 80 grit sandpaper laid flat on the work bench top. It took some time to get the “just right snug” fit that Chipper describes. It does not leak.

The smoothness of the bell is very important. I use 400 sandpaper to polish it. I agree with Chipper also that paint can be a problem.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Rossco Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The ball is smooth so l will try your ideas thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.