Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Restoration has just been completed on my 1954 Corvette and I probably need to have the front end alignment done. On the recent test drive there was a bit of "wander" or play in the steering wheel when going straight down the road. There was probably 8" of play left and right in the steering which seems excessive.
Did not want to take this to just any local shop since they probably have little/no experience with even finding the adjustment points.....anyone have a recommended shop in central Ohio. I live in north Columbus.
Thanks!
John

John Lanning
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Probably less an alignment problem and more a steering box issue. It probably needs adjusted and filled with self leveling grease. The procedure is in the shop manual.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi, John. Try doing what Tiny suggested. If that won't work, give Nelson Frame and Axle a call. They worked on a 1965 Dodge Cortez motorhome several years back for the Central Ohio Fire Museum ( where I work ). Not sure exactly what was done, but we were pleased with the results. Obviously, you don't want to take your classic anywhere. Keep us informed as to your progress. Love the 31 in your Avatar.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Great suggestions....I rebuilt the steering box during restoration and all new front end components so steering box adjustment just makes sense as a starting point.
Will let you know.
John

John Lanning
1 member likes this: Clement
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree that it is more likely adjustments and/or worn parts than alignment.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
1 member likes this: Clement

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.