Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Got some new corks for the sender unit from the Filling Station. Only came with a brass washer. Is there supposed to be a flat push on nut to hold the corks in place on the metal float rod? If so, mine is long gone. Or does anyone have any options for this?
Thanks again.

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
mine had the end of the rod bent.

i opted to go with neoprene floats :) cheap and good to go with most fuels even ethanol

Attached Images
20170615_201203.jpg

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
1 member likes this: Bama31
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I do not know the details of how the float is retained on a ‘31 flue gauge sending unit.

What I do know is that I regret installing a new cork float on my ‘37 sending unit. After less than 3 months it had absorbed enough gasoline that it did not register correctly. It still worked but indicated at least 1/4 tank lower than actual. I think it is even further off now.

So now I need to adapt either a neoprene or brass float.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I have had the same result with cork floats. They absorb gas after a short time. I think that pushing the hole in the middle allows ethanol laced fuel into the center, cork swells and fractures the coating and bingo. I have used the brass floats by heating the end of the wire to orange/red and allowing to cool. That allows bending into a 3/4 circle to retain the brass float.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Guys,
Where can I find a neoprene or brass float for my 31. I just got my gage cleaned up and working. I replaced the old float with a new cork float. I would like to avoid future problems before I install the gas tank.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Model A part suppliers have plastic floats. Many sell the brass float. It is SA-99 at the Filling Station for example.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
got my neoprene from Snyders Antiques (https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/product.htm?pid=979370&cat=41706)

can also get them at mac's (https://www.macsautoparts.com/)

yes they are Model A / T suppliers, but they have the parts that work :)

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
All the car parts suppliers think they have gold with their neoprene float costs. I buy mine at Aircraft Spruce (small plane parts supplier) for more than half the price less. Of course all bets are off these “Covid” days. I hope I didn’t screw myself and give away my secret source. Many times when the car parts guys were out of stock on floats, AS had them. I always shopped around in the beginning so that’s how I know. Car parts really don’t have official “specs” for road use but aircraft comes under much more scrutiny so the parts have to be good. Now everyone, don’t go buying up AS inventory of floats!!!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Originally Posted by Chistech
All the car parts suppliers think they have gold with their neoprene float costs. I buy mine at Aircraft Spruce (small plane parts supplier) for more than half the price less. Of course all bets are off these “Covid” days. I hope I didn’t screw myself and give away my secret source. Many times when the car parts guys were out of stock on floats, AS had them. I always shopped around in the beginning so that’s how I know. Car parts really don’t have official “specs” for road use but aircraft comes under much more scrutiny so the parts have to be good. Now everyone, don’t go buying up AS inventory of floats!!!

lol, nope they are my source for o-rings & grommets wink have been for years
and they are a little more pricey on the floats right now :( almost double but have to value in shipping as well :)

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.