Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are making progress. It is hard to imagine how something like those valve adjustments got done. Things like have taught me to never be surprised at what I find on an old vehicle.
I agree that you need to gauge to confirm the dipper height. If I remember correctly the dippers on my car are fairly square. The idea is that you want them to just scoop the surface of the oil in the troughs. If they go too deep the bottom end of the rod displaces all of the oil out of the through. Plus it is adds drag on the rod throws of the crank.
If you look calculate the dimensional differences of the gauge you should find that the dipper only goes about 1/4” below the top edges of the trough.
Thanks, I don’t know why I thought they were rounded, maybe that’s Hudson.
According to the 3-23/32” tool these are a little high by like 3/32” which is good enough for now. I appreciate the help! I need to apply it to my 1936 town coach before I take it out on the road.
The rod cap wouldn’t budge when I changed out the dipper so I didn’t get a look at the journal. I just prayed and torqued it to 45, it took 65ft # to break it loose. I was able to remove the cap on the 1952 and it looked nice. I need to soak the rings and and keep the water out of it. It seems to have been rebuilt.
The valves weren’t maladjusted after all, four lifters were stuck, especially #1& #4. They were what was creating the current knocking sounds. Hopefully it was the sound that caused the owner to park it in 1958.Then again it could still be a piston rod and the valves didn’t stick until a really wet winter in 1960.
Now all the lifters are spinning nicely and it’s making 75-100# compression. I’m going to pickle the rings with some 9% vinegar while I go deal with other first world problems. In a few days I’ll let it soak in some of my home brew penetrating oil hopefully by the time I apply air/fuel +spark they will loosen up and the compression will level out.
My next concern is I’m still having to lubricate the valve train.
I disconnected the feed tube and forced air through both directions which sprayed me with oil from the rockers and I could hear bubbling in the sump in the other direction so at least I know it’s not blocked.
I tried to prime it through that tube but it’s just too small.
Maybe it’s rejecting the oil I put in it. It’s out of a 1970 Ford F600!
Not to worry, when the rings are finished soaking it’s getting a proper oil change before I try to fire it up.