Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#467601 03/03/22 05:40 PM
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Last Fall when I had the car out for our last ride of the year the speedometer needle started jumping and growling. Of course I forgot about it until now. Figured I better look at it now as driving season is coming up. I suspect it is the speedometer unit as I don't think a dry cable would growl but since the cable is a easy thing to pull and lubricate I am going to do that first. I have several choices of lubricant on hand to use. They are as follows: Valvoline Multi Lube Lithium Grease #638, Valvoline X-All Purpose Grease #564 (It is cream colored), cup grease, and chassis grease. I'm leaning toward one of the first two listed. Anyone care to give their opinion of what to use ???
If that doesn't fix the problem I guess the speedometer unit will have to come out. Any suggestions on who would rebuild/repair the unit?? Since it is the original unit on it's second time around showing 148600 on the odometer I would prefer to get it fixed instead of just replacing with another.
Appreciate any advice/comments/opinions etc.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have used motor oil with good results. It softens the old hard gease and lubricates.
Was recommended by Chevrolet at one time.
If you use a soft grease apply a very thin coat on the lower 2./3rds of the cable and none on the top 1/3rd. This done to prevent the grease from working up into the speedometer head.
Do not use any lubricant with graphite as it will damage the white metal frame of the spedometer if it enters the head.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
After having to clean the grease out of a speedometer with a Q-tip soaked in gasoline...
I can say Gene gives great advice!

The speedometer cable acts like an auger and will auger excess grease up into the speedometer.

So now I flex the cable in a cup of soft grease to get grease inside the cable.
Then wipe all of the grease off the outside.
What's left inside the cable will be plenty.

Ole S Olson
1 member likes this: Clement
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Thank you Gene & Ole for your comments. This morn I lubed the cable and reinstalled it. Since the car is still hibernating and the roads here still have salt on them, I jacked the rear up high enough to get rear wheels off the floor using jack stands for support. Started the engine and put the car into second gear for a low RPM test. As I feared, the growl was still there so I guess I will have to get behind the dash and remove the speedometer unit and get it repaired. Not going to be enjoyable as it was 40 years ago. Another joy of getting old !!

Dick

ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Well I got the speedometer unit out. I removed the front seat to make it easier getting getting in to lay on my back. After looking up and seeing all the wires that were going to make it difficult taking the unit out, I decided to remove the radio so I could reach in through that opening. That really made it easier.
I called the gentleman who has an ad in G&D for speedometer repair. He said he no longer repairs them. So that leave me just picking one of the half dozen or so listed in Hemmings. Anyone have any experience getting one repaired by someone they would recommend. ??

Dick

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Before sending the speedo head away with the cable disconnected repeat your last test, if the squeak isnt there a couple of drops of very light oil around the end of the protrusion for the cable and turn the cable fitting by hand or a low speed drill (may need to make an adapter). There is very little lube gets to the bushing this area and will give the indication of sticky cable.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Tony: Since I had an old speedo cable, I did as you suggested on the bench instead of on my back. The growling persisted and was definitely from inside the unit. Thanks for the suggesting that test.

Dick

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.