Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Up on jack stands have noted a rolling marble sound emitting from the left rear wheel of my 31 Chevy. The wheel also difficult to turn by hand even after having adjusting the adjuster back a few notches. Possible defective bearing or loose caliber? Is the bearing difficult to service? Thanks!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The rolling marble sound is typical for damaged ball bearings. The 1931 axle bearings are ball bearings. It is not too difficult to replace the bearing but requires a few tools not generally available. First the rear brake drum must be removed from the axle. A two or three jaw puller or a special puller that uses the threads on the hub. Once the drum is removed it will be necessary to remove the 8 bolts holding the plate in the center of the brake shoes. Once the plate is removed it reveals the bearing that is attached to the axle. Most use a slide hammer to pull the axle. There is a circular "nut" held by a retainer that holds the bearing to the axle. Once the retainer and nut are removed the bearing can be pushed off the axle. Reverse to reinstall. A modern lip seal can be put in place of the felt seal on the plate.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks! What amazes me about this recent 31 Chevy purchase is the difficulty necessary to repair what is typically an easy task for the later fifties cars I own. The recent clutch issue requires removal of the transmission and now a wheel bearing involves pulling an axle. Even the gasoline float replacement requires dropping the tank.

The wheel bearing procedure itself is something I would attempt but the issue is where to acquire the tools necessary. I am from the Chicago area. Has anyone a source for me to rent them? Or better yet, a fellow enthusiast I can hire to assist in the repair?

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Many auto parts stores loan tools. Check with several of them. An alternative hub puller has two or three arms and holes in the end of each arm for a lug nut.

Of the three repairs you listed they are similar for the 30s and 50s Chevys I have owned. Yes I understand there are a few that have an access cover to the fuel tank sending unit.

TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Appreciated Chipper. I will call around to see what's available. I am able bodied and have a good novice ability with cars but now in my early seventies getting weary of all of the issues arising with this new purchase. Objective was to purchase a 30's car thinking early mechanical's were more simplistic. Also have found out the local Chevy clubs locally are more attuned to 70's era muscle cars and members have little working knowledge or interest in the early vehicles. Currently also own a 51 Studebaker, 52 Plymouth and a 56 Oldsmobile. This 31 Chevy has proven to be the neediest of the assortment. It had been restored twelve years ago and then parked. Appearance wise it looks as new but either the renew was limited to cosmetics or the long term storage has played havoc on the working parts.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hello TG193, Amazing the advancements they made in 20-25 years ain't it just !! I am from Palatine,Illinois,currently in NJ. I have run into all the same issues with my 31 Coach as you are facing !! I am also 74 in March,so,I feel your pain pal!! I agree with Chipper that the repairs on the 50's cars are somewhat similar,just seem to be easier for some reason....maybe its those 20+ years of wear&tear. Anyhow,I am a rookie at this myself so I totally rely on the fine members of the VCCA to get through these challenges,they are the absolute best and will never let you down.
Best of luck,Jay

TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Jay - Agree the VCCA has been a great assist! Always good to have others opinion on the project at hand. I reside in a western burb of Chicago and own a hangar housing my vintage vehicles. Has heat, good lighting, water and a beer fridge. Also a comfortable seating area. Look me up when return to the area. We can share our joys and woes with our 31 Chevy's. TG1956@Yahoo.com / Ted

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Sounds like I need to be your neighbor!!! I have an old 1 car shed with a wood burning stove and a cold old floor for my car and 2 Harleys !! My lift is bottle jacks and 8x8's but I seem to get er done.Oh,I do have a fridge !!! My wife says "Suck it up,buttercup" when I ask for upgrades to shop area !!! LOL---j99fxd@aol.com

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Ted,
I have been a 1931 Chevrolet owner (and grateful VCCA member) for over 50 years. Yes, there are a few repairs that are more difficult than 50s vehicles. These 90+ year old vehicles were built when repair shops were few and far between so working under the back yard shade tree was in vogue. We cuss the thick babbit bearings that were designed with shims so rod and main bearings could be adjusted and not replaced or reworked. Many repairs can be done with adjustable wrench, hammer, screwdriver, end wrenches and elbow grease. As a VCCA Tour participant we have repaired them on the side of the road, motel parking lot and occasionally in or on a trailer. Try that on a more modern car.

Despite what others will tell you a properly maintained 1931 can be driven on most roads at posted speeds. Maybe not the race tracks disguised as limited access highways or in major metropolitan cities where crazies turn a trip to see grandma or the grocery store into a Dodgem car adventure. That is one reason I live in the country where cows munch grass across the road.

Come back as needed. We are friendly (except for the couple of old grouches) and collectively have hundreds for years experience owning, driving, repairing and enjoying these approaching centenarians.

1 member likes this: gachap
TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
You will like my area 30 x 40 size with 17 foot high ceilings. I had hesitated the purchase of my 31 but the other guy showing interest wanted to hot rod it. Felt an obligation to keep the ole girl original after 91 years of service.

TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Seems with every old car purchase the first year is a matter of getting over the hump on initial repairs. They all need something it seems. In a way, part of the fun of owning them I guess. Provides an education process. I named the car "Sassy" and so far she lives up to her name.

Anxious to get my 31 up and running before the Spring/Summer season. A few more hurdles to jump between now and then. Like you I live far enough from the city to see corn grow.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
maintenance is key on these cars ! do it whether it needs it or not, or when you do go to drive them you will spend time and money doing so.

I drive mine every few weeks for 30+ minutes to keep them going.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Certainly a good idea to drive them on a regular basis. Key objective right now is to make it safe drive. Bad clutch and defective wheel bearings inhibit any exercise currently. I do start the engine and let it idle for 15 minutes each week.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
"Let it idle for 15 minutes" is the LAST thing WOULD RECOMMEND.
AT IDLE SPEED THE OIL IS NOT BEING THROWN AROUND PROPERLY FOR WRIST PIN AND PISTON RING LUBRICATION. THE OIL NEVER GETS HOT ENOUGH TO BOIL OFF GAS THAT BLOWS BY THE PISTON RINGS ON A COLD ENGINE NOT TO MENTION THE CONDENSTAION THAT OCCURS RUNNING AN ENGINE FOR SHORT PERIODS WITHOUT BE DRIVEN FOR AT LEAST A HALF HOUR OR MORE AT HIGHER SPEEDS.

Gene Schneider
TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Appreciate the advice. Instead I will drive on a repeated basis for the 30 minute duration. I do change the oil frequently even though stored winters and driven few miles annually. Thanks!

TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Result: The rumble in the rear drum turned out to be a broken return spring. The fragments were rolling around inside the drum and the shoe was dragging as a result. It was a 5 inch long coil spring which has a spacer in the middle to allow it to straddle over a bolt in the assembly. Had to improvise with a solid spring replacement but it appears to work. Question is if survives a test of time.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I suggest you order the correct spring ASAP so you don't have a failure that could have serious results both for the vehicle and it's occupants.

Steve D
TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Have looked but neither the Filling Station or Gary Wallace has it. The spring is unlike anything I have seen before.
About 5 inches long with a coil on either end separated in the middle by a single spring wire connector. Has anyone a source please? The middle area straddles a bolt in the assembly.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Just looked in the Filling Station online catalog and found a set of 4 brake return springs. Search for GR-197 and you should find them.

TG1931 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Found it Chipper. Thanks! On order.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.