Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#466713 02/07/22 10:47 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My 6 volt voltage regulator contacts make a racket at low idle upon startup. You can here them clicking through the firewall. Amp meter shows discharge until I rev engine up. Generator is recently rebuilt, voltage regulator a little over a year old, new wiring harness, fan belt new and at correct tension.

Also, the voltage regulator will drop “off line” frequently when the rpms drop.

Car has no modifications.

This is a recurring problem. I’ve gone through about 3 voltage regulators in last 7 years or so.

I would like to find out what could be causing this before I purchase another “premium” voltage regulator.

Thanks,
Curt

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
what year ??
i know on the older ones you had to adjust/set the regulator for cut in cut out, same for the generator output, had to adjust and set that as well.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
1940 master deluxe sport sedan.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have had dozens of GM cars with the voltage regulator mounted to the fire wall and have never heard a click.
I suspect the problem is the manner in which the regulator is attached to the tire wall. Are the rubber insulators in place and is the rubber still soft....or is there direct metal to metal contack between the regulator and fire wall?

At idle it is normal for the ammeter to register discharge as a geerator is has no output at idle and the cuy out in the voltage regulator opens up as it is supposed to do at idle or when engie is not running.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 02/07/22 03:45 PM.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well, I stand corrected.

I just started it up and listened carefully.

The clicking sound (very slight) seems to be coming from the bell housing area, NOT the voltage regulator.

I assumed it was the voltage regulator-I assumed wrong.

Now I got to figure out what is causing the sound from the bell housing area. It’s not at all bad. Could be the clutch stuff. Who knows? It works fine. Not going to worry about it.

Thanks for your thoughts Gene.

Curt

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Before I was rich and could afford expensive tools like the Harbor Freight $4.99 Mechanic's Stethoscope I used a 3' piece of heater hose to help find the source of a noise. If I thought it was a bearing or gear I would stick a length of wooden dowel or a long screwdriver on the part that I thought was noisy.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Mr. Gene.
PM SENT

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.