Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#466013 01/23/22 09:15 PM
KraigJ Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello-I am a new member that recently received a 1928 Chevrolet Sedan from my father. My grandfather bought this car in late 50's/early 60's from I believe the original owner, who was a neighbor that took my grandmother on a few dates in this car around 1930. It was in a garage for sometime before he bought it and has been in barn or pole barn since he purchased it. I believe he replaced the wood top in the 70's but I do not recall it running or being driven. My goal is to get it running & make sure it is mechanically sound so my dad can drive it. Can you suggest the best manuals I can start reading to educate myself before starting on this project. I know it has wood frame for doors & cabin, so I think I need to check it for rot. My plan is to pull it out of my Dads pole building in the spring.
Thanks-Kraig Johnson

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

KraigJ #466022 01/24/22 12:11 AM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Kraig,

Welcome to the VCCA's website and to the wonderful world of old Chevys!

I suggest that the first manual to buy is the 1927/1928 Shop manual. It is FULL of great info. The are available from the vendors that advertise here and also on ebay.

There are MANY ways to tackle getting your car back on the road. When I jumped into bringing my '28 Canopy Express (Justin) back to life, which had been sitting for over 40 years, I squirted some Marvelous Mystery Oil into the spark plug holes and onto the rocker arms, and worked on everything else while the engine soaked. Here's my suggestions:

1. Check that all the moving parts underneath and in the engine compartment actually move and are adjustable. For example, make sure that the threads on the brake parts are not clogged with dried grease and road dirt, so they can be adjusted. Clean all exposed threads with a wire brush before attempting to adjust stuff. You don't want to get dirt and sludge into the threaded holes.

2. Change all the fluids. This includes putting some oil into the u-joint housing. Use the same oil as the transmission and rear end.

3. New tires and inner tubes. Don't forget to use inner tube flaps.

4. Do a complete lube job, including wheel bearings and grease cups. Note that the grease cup for the water pump needs marine grease, not bearing or chassis grease.

5. Drop the oil pan (you don't have to take out the engine), clean out the sludge and any other yukky stuff you find, and do a good inspection. These engines get lubricated by a splash system, so it is especially important that you clean out the oil reservoirs that feed oil to the bearings.

For an overview of what the inside of the engine and its parts looks like, see my write up when I rebuilt the '28 engine in my truck Lurch. Here's a link to that story: Resurrecting a 1928 Chevy 4 banger

Basically, work your way around the vehicle inspecting, cleaning, and adjusting, so that when you fire up the engine, you can go driving!!

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

KraigJ #466031 01/24/22 08:26 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Kraig, Welcome to Old Chevys and chat.
Deans list of things to do pretty much sums it up. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
KraigJ Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for all the info Dean (and Mike)
I will order the shop manual & will read your story on the 28 chevy 4 banger
Will take couple pics this spring with what it looks like now & update as I progress
Kraig Johnson
kraigjohnson86@yahoo.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 73 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.