Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#465639 01/15/22 11:33 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
need suggestions on where to find info on rebuilding seats 1937 chev coupe. all i have is the frame and springs.

lugnut60 #465667 01/16/22 02:28 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
There is lots of info online. Check utube, or the model a, or model t web sites. Should be able to get a pretty good handle on the different layers of required material. Start by redoing an old chair, or recliner to get some experience. Make sure to use some substantial fabric on top of the springs before placing your batting on or in an automotive application the motion will make the batting work down into the springs. Some places recommend a piece of carpet, but the traditional is heavy burlap.

Art

lugnut60 #465868 01/20/22 07:01 PM
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The primary limitation you will encounter is finding an acceptable seat cover material if you are trying to get close to original. I would be extremely surprised if you can find already made seat covers.

I was fortunate that I could reuse the original seat covers on my ”˜37 Master coupe. We put heavy burlap over the springs and held it in pace with hog rings that we installed below the tops of the springs. We did not want the hog rings to have a chance to push through the padding and cut the seat cover. We then laid a layer of 1/2” very high density foam over the burlap and wrapped it around the spring bed at the sides and ends. We put a few hog rings below the top to hold it in place also. It was a higher density foam that we got at an upholstery shop. It was firmer than what you find at places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels. The we put a layer of cotton batting material over the foam. We shaped it to match the contour of the seat covers. We used the same layer technique for both the seat bottom and the back. The most challenging task was reconnecting the buttons.

Spend time cleaning and checking the springs. We did re-stretch some springs and had to install new connections between some of them.

We did “cheat” and used staples rather than upholstery tacks to re-attach the seat covers to the wooden frames.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.