Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Greetings,

A good friend has been giving me various parts of '25-'28 Chevy's to help me with my '28 LO project. Today I acquired a cowl that still has the Fisher body tag attached. I've been searching various forums trying to find a source of Fisher body codes by year but haven't been successful so far. The tag on the cowl (I believe it is a '28 as it has cowl lights) says "Job No. 7260" and "Body No. S 696." I'd really like to know what model auto/truck this was for.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Brian

P.S. On a side note: I set up my account to include a signature but it never shows up on my posts. Anyone have that issue? I must be missing something in the set up.

1951 3604 - rebuild in progress
1928 Capitol LO - waiting in the wings
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
On a whim I decided to try searching for the Job # and not the Body #, and low and behold I found what I was looking for in Kaufmann's data. So it appears that what I have is a cowl from a 1928 CAPITOL AA, 5-passenger Imperial Landau. So the next question is, did all CAPITOLs use the same cowl?

Brian

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The closed cars used the same cowl. The Tourings and Roadsters used a different cowl as did the trucks.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you, Chipper. That is what I needed to know.

Brian

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Fisher car bodies made for Chevrolet at that time usually had numbers starting with a letter. A lot of the cars on the West coast came out of Oakland. Looks like your cowl is from St. Louis. O for Oakland, J for Janesville, S for St Louis, etc. The actual car serial number (not the body number) would start with the car model, then the plant number. Oakland is 6, Janesville is 21, etc. So my 29 coupe is AC 21xxxxxx, and the 29 Conv Landau is AC 6xxxxx. If I messed any of this up I am sure someone will step in.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Not trying to highjack, but did truck cowls have a Fischer tag on them? The cowl that came with my truck (which I think is original) has a spot on the lower passengers outside where it looks like some kind of tag was fastened with two fasteners. At a swap meet I had seen a 27, 4 door car that had a tag in that same spot that said Fischer.
Are these tags reproduced by chance. I wanted to get on for my truck.
Brian, my cowl also has the cowl lights. I don't think cowl lights were specific to 28. I know there are different shaped light housings. Not sure of what years used what shape.
David

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by David_S
Not trying to highjack, but did truck cowls have a Fischer tag on them? The cowl that came with my truck (which I think is original) has a spot on the lower passengers outside where it looks like some kind of tag was fastened with two fasteners. At a swap meet I had seen a 27, 4 door car that had a tag in that same spot that said Fischer.
Are these tags reproduced by chance. I wanted to get on for my truck.
Brian, my cowl also has the cowl lights. I don't think cowl lights were specific to 28. I know there are different shaped light housings. Not sure of what years used what shape.
David

David, I've attached photos of the cowl that I recently acquired. The tag at the lower edge of the passenger side would be the small brass one with the carriage that you see in the third photo. I do not believe that the cowl on my 1928 LO truck had one, but the bottom edges of that cowl are so beat up that I couldn't be able to tell anyway. I was hoping that this new-to-me cowl would be useable on my truck.

I'd really like to see a good series of photos, etc. describing the design differences between the model years to help with identifying such things as the cowl lights, headlights, radiator grills, fenders, etc., etc. I need to make up a cheat sheet to take when I'm searching for parts at swap meets!

Brian

Attached Images
Cowl_001.jpg Cowl_002.jpg Cowl_003.jpg

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by beachbum
Fisher car bodies made for Chevrolet at that time usually had numbers starting with a letter. A lot of the cars on the West coast came out of Oakland. Looks like your cowl is from St. Louis. O for Oakland, J for Janesville, S for St Louis, etc. The actual car serial number (not the body number) would start with the car model, then the plant number. Oakland is 6, Janesville is 21, etc. So my 29 coupe is AC 21xxxxxx, and the 29 Conv Landau is AC 6xxxxx. If I messed any of this up I am sure someone will step in.

Thank you, beachbum, for that additional info about the body number on the tag. I am familiar with the car id. number sequence. My truck still had the car model/car number tag on the right side of the seat riser. It was indeed made in Oakland (6 LO 2962).

Brian

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I realized that I reversed the model, and plant number, in the actual serial number It should read 21AC55555, and 6AC55555 That plate is nailed on top of the passenger side sill just ahead of the seat. Or in the case of the open cars onto the side of the passenger side seat frame riser.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I'll have to go check if my firewall has those two rivet holes for that tag. As mentioned I know I have the holes for the Fischer tag. beachbum based on your info would a truck tag read something like 21LO......?
David

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The tag on the passenger lower outside of the cowl just aft of the hood is only for Fisher Bodies passenger cars.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.