Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lou Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
I've looked all over but I can't find the ID plate on my 37 Chevy with Flxible body. On my 37 Chevys with Martin-Parry bodies and 1936 & older with Flxible bodies, it's located on the right side of the cowl. On 38 Chevys with Flxible bodies, the plate is on the luggage compartment door. My 37 Flx doesn't have a cowl and there are no holes to indicate it was ever on the luggage compartment door. Does anyone know where Kettering put the ViN?
First picture is the body tag on 1935 Chevy/Flxible cowl.
Second pix of my 37 Chevy/Flxible Clipper. (COE. No Cowl)
Third pix of 38 Chev/Flx. (Pusher with tag on door.)
Information will be greatly appreciated. Lou

Attached Images
1935 ID plate Q.jpg WflxLF.jpg Wflx38.jpg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Could it be on a door pillar?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Lou, I don't know if this is what you want, but the Flxible Owners International site says the serial number is stamped on the top surface of the right frame rail in the engine compartment. To get at it, you view through an inspection door at the rear of the baggage compartment. Hope this helps!!

Lou Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
. Hi 37 Blue,
Thank you for the reply. I have looked all around the passenger door. Since Kettering usually put the ViN on the right side of GM vehicles, I concentrated on the right side for initial search. (Fisher, Martin-Parry, Flxible. Even my 37 Chevys with Proctor-Keefe, Crown and Superior bodies have it on the right. Holden has
them on the Left.) Here's a few photos of my search. .
. Pix #1 = Passenger door is located on Right side of Vehicle behind tire.
. Pix #2 = Looking back at courtesy light. .
. Pix #3 = Looking forward at door jam. Upholstery on door. .
. Pix #4 = I looked beside the second heater. (It has 3 heaters.) I haven't removed the heater to look behind it but most states require Vin to be visible. .
. Pix #5 = Factory photo of dog house. .
. Pix #6 = On the other side of the dog house, I looked all around the drivers compartment. (That's heater number one that doesn't work. The other 2 heaters do. The seat is a full 12" to the left of the Ross steering wheel [AKA: IH] causing me to hit the air over hydraulic brake pedal instead of gas, making double clutching Chevy 4 speed quite challenging.) .
. . I have a list of Who purchased each of the 164 Flx bodied Clippers that gives the model, ViN, and engine number. BUT the engine in it is a 1952 235 truck engine with no serial number. The correct replacement engine for heavy truck. When purchasing a "Crate" engine from the factory, someone was supposed to stamp the serial of the dead engine on the replacement. Obviously this didn't happened. I wish they would have waited two years and gotten a 1954 261 truck engine to haul this 9 ton Chevy around.

There's more Flxible info on my website at:
<http://home.znet.com/x1937/Flx.htm>
. I appreciate your thoughts, . . Lou

Attached Images
0275 rfq.jpg 010 Step light.jpg 008 Step jam .jpg 007 heater .jpg 017 Rack F.jpg Dash Q0.jpg 016 Ross.jpg
Last edited by Lou; 10/14/21 03:27 AM.
Lou Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Hi Kaygee,
. I used to be a member of FOI but most members had postwar pushers with the largest engines they could shove in the rear and most were converted to RVs. I have a 1937 Chevrolet Flxible Clipper which is a one year only model. The engine is in a dog house next to the driver, like several Cab Over Engine vehicles.
The 1938 Clipper was completely different. The engine was in the rear and it had a close ratio 4 speed and 9" Hotchkiss rather than 3 torque tubes. It also had the choice of Chevy 6 or modified Buick straight 8 engines. The body was Monocoque metal instead of wood. Your description would be correct for the 1938 and newer Clippers.
Thank you for the suggestions. Lou
. Picture #1 of my Driver's seat vs Pix #5 factory photo in previous post. .
. Pix #2 The frame on the right side of engine is in front. Looking forward toward the air compressor. .
Changing the points on the ignition distributor was very difficult as I could barely reach one hand in this space. The sharp edge cuts my fore arm in the process. That's why I haven't cleaned off the frame rail any better.
. Pix #3 looking back toward the oil filter. .
(Since I could barely get one hand down there, changing points, I haven't tackled the oil filter yet.)
. Pix #4 There is nothing by Trans .
. Pix #5 Here's a picture of a newer Buick/Flx Vin plate on it's baggage door. .
. Pix #6 Tho the wood is rotten there are no holes in the metal to indicate there was ever an ID plate attached to the baggage door. Inside the rear baggage compartment there is no unaccounted holes either.
. Pix #7 The rotting wood has caused the baggage door to fall off. It has been placed inside for safe keeping.
. Pix 8 . inside of baggage door,
. Pix #9 The Flx is squeezed into a garage and I could not pull the baggage door out for photos.

Attached Images
Dash .jpg 012 Dist.jpg 013 Oil Filter .jpg 015 Trans L.jpg Vin Buick.jpg rt r.jpg 002 Baggage .jpg 004 B door.jpg 006 B door.jpg
Last edited by Lou; 10/14/21 03:59 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (p.k., corvaired, 1 invisible), 81 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.