Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#462065 09/23/21 10:46 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a 46 Aerosedan on which I'm doing a complete, body-off restoration. I recently installed the Chevs of the 40s front end rebuild kit, including king pins and bushings. With the new king pins and bushings, I still have the slightest amount of play between the steering knuckle and the support when I grasp the top and bottom of the backing plate and wiggle it. I've read elsewhere that any play in the king pin is unacceptable. So I'm wondering:

a. should I grease it up, drive it, and see how it behaves?

b. should I look for NOS or take-off steering knuckle support into which the new king pins will fit more tightly?

c. is there an oversize king pin set I could get, and then have my knuckles and supports reamed out for a perfect press fit?

Any advice will be carefully considered and greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Tyler,
LeRoy, MI

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Is it looose on one side or both?....
I would check where the loosenuss is. such as between the bushing and spindle or?
The bushings are not pressed in. They are free floating

Last edited by Chev Nut; 09/23/21 10:55 PM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Gene is correct that a there will be some slight movement because they are floating bushings.

The holes in the spindles will wear some. There used to be oversized bushing kits but you cannot find those anymore. In that case the holes in the spindle needed to be reamed to allow the bushing the fit properly. The hole wears in an oblong pattern.

One simple check is to observe or feel the play when the wheels are turned and the wheels are off the ground. That should give you and indication of the wear in the holes.

Check to make sure that the kingpin is not moving.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.