Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
SteveUK Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I would not even class myself as a back yard mechanic, so forgive naivety of my questions. Want to raise rear of vehicle to check/adjust rear brakes but.... :
(i) What is the recommended rear jacking point? Is it the Differential on the rear axle?

(ii) As there are no brakes on front wheels, is there a risk of the vehicle tilting forward or at worse rolling forward under its own weight and if so how should I prevent this? I could simple put chocks under the front wheels or is there any other method of securing vehicle while jacking up the rear?

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you have a floor jack placing under the differential works well. The floor jack has wheels that will support the load and also adjust so the load is vertical to the ground. If you want to make sure that the car does not roll but chocks infront and rear of front wheels and either jack each side separately or under the differential but if not perfectly centered it may lift one wheel higher than the other.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi SteveUK,

Welcome to the VCCA's Chatter forums! This site is a great place to hang out with kindred, old Chevy souls!

It is good to hear that you are thinking about safety BEFORE trying something! I won't go into the stuff I have stupidly done over the years. ;-)

When I want to safely lift the rear wheels of my trucks (see links in my signature) off the ground, I do the following:

1. I set the emergency brake, raise the front axle up (lifting under the middle of the axle) and set the axle on jack stands.

2. Now I raise the rear axle (putting the floor jack under the differential) and get the rear axle on jack stands, so now all wheels can be serviced easily.

Enjoy every accomplishment and celebrate the journey!

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
With a trolley Jack on wheels lifting under the differential (enlarged centre) housing is the easiest and safest place for the initial lift then place solid stands under the spring / axle housing junction. Especially on a level surface the vehicle isnt likely to move during jacking but with a sloping surface definitely place a wheel stop on the downhill side of the front wheels.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
SteveUK Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks guys for your advice on jacking, much appreciated.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (Headlighter, Peter_Gariepy, 1 invisible), 69 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.