Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#46172 03/09/03 06:20 PM
vanst Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
It appears that my convertlble top switch on my 55 may not be working properly. I have it out of the car as part of a restoration and checked it with the use of a OHM meter across the legs. In the neutral postition it's off (good) when pulled out the meter shows conductivity (good) when the switch is pushed back nothing (bad). Is there any articals on rebuilding or taking the switch appart? I don't think these switches are available so any help would be great. Thanks

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Someone out there must have an answer to this question. :confused:

If you have old Chevrolets, other old Chevrolets will find out where you live.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Vanst,

First, I need to tell you - I have never taken apart one of these switches.

Most of these switches have "gone away" from corrosion or lack of use. With that being said, I would recommend a good anticorrosion cleaner.

I highly recommend "CORROSION BLOCK". Available at any boating or aircraft store. A thin, aluminum extruded aerosol. It is made in Canada.

Spray the material inside the switch. Give it a day or two to work. The switch will come back.

short story.... a friend with a 1940 Piper aircraft had a radio problem. He was on a very tight budget - so could not afford to rebuild the radio. (hey, its an airplane - radio is pretty important) I sprayed the radio for him. He was disappointed - because no instant results.

Well, the following weekend he went out the plane - turned on the radio. He tells me - it sounds like it was made YESTERDAY - perfect! luv2

I have sprayed all of my electrical connections and switch gear with this product. All work better than new. No ill side effects either.

Oliver J. Giorgi
Technical Advisor
1958 Passenger Car
vanst Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Oliver! I'll be on the hunt over the weekend for this spray. Terry

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000

-BowTie Bob
vanst Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Bob, I found it on Google as well. I'll be calling Bryce Marine on Manitou at 9:30 just to see if they may have it, if not I'll buy it online. The motor should come out on Saturday this week, gotta keep things rollin!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Terry, if you need an extra pair of hands with the motor removal, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

chevy -Bob

-BowTie Bob
vanst Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Bob, I'll leave it like this. If you wish to stop by I'd be happy to have ya, breakfast is at 8:00am!!! I really don't think it should be too long as everything is off the motor but I'm putting the front end together first. I don't like to impose but if you want to hang out on the first day of spring in Rochester we should have a few laughs. Terry

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Terry, I'll be over around 8:30am, if that's OK with you - looking forward to it.

chevy -Bob

-BowTie Bob

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.