Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
STOKER Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I HAVE A 48 CHEVY FLEETLINE WITH NO VACUUM ASSIST AND THE LARGE SHIFT LEVER IS MOVING ON THE SHAFT OF THE TRANSMISSION. THE TRANNY SHAFT HAS A SLOT CUT INTO IT AN THE LEVER IS ROUNDED OUT FROM BEING LOOSE AND YEARS OF USE IS MY GUESS . ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OF HOW IS THE BEST WAY TO TACKLE THIS ? I THOUGHT I HAD A REPLACEMENT LINED UP BUT SO FAR IT HAS NOT SHOWN UP . THANKS FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS. STOKER

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Welcome to VCCA Chat. Hopefully we can answer your questions.

Obviously a replacement shift arm is the better solution. As an alternative you might need to have the old one refurbished by having the worn holes filled with weld and then re-make the holes.

You also need to look closely at the shafts and rods where the lever is connected. They often wear as much or more than the arm. Even a new arm will not fix the problem completely in those situations.

Also, if you could, please type with capital and small letters. In some cases people think you are shouting at them when you type in all capital letters. It is a crazy part of this world of electronic communications.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Are you still looking for a shift arm? I think I have what you need pm me your phone or email and I can sent you pictures of what I have

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
STOKER Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
yes I am .thought I had one lined up and it arrived looking a lot like the one that needs replaced. send pics to rickrichards1@yahoo.com thanks

STOKER Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
you know I never thought about capital and small letters , maybe it shows I have more time in the toolbox and less on the computer. thanks for the tip

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Where is Grafton?

Bill Masters
STOKER Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Ohio we are southwest of Cleveland about 30 miles or so.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.