Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
oldie62 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My friend bought a 1949 chevy from a guy from Chicago. He stated that he had bought the car at a junk yard. He transported it to Califoria & and he has all sellers info. Thanks, oldie62-323-599-6220

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I suggest calling the state office of the CA DMV. I've been told that the state info phone line has more knowledgeable people than the local offices. They can tell you the process that is acceptable to the DMV.

If there is a VIN on the car, the CHP can inspect that car and if it is not in the CA DMV system, they can verify the VIN belongs to the car and can issue a form that the DMV will accept for registration (along with a written statement that the car was bought at a wrecking yard out of state and brought to CA).

If the car does not have a VIN, the CHP can assign one to it and will rivet the new number onto the car and then you go to the DMV for registration. This is the process that I had to go through with my '28 truck, which had been off the road for many decades and had no car ID plate. I also had to provide a statement of fact saying the car was on private property for all those years.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The catch might be if the title was sent in as junked out. IDK about other states, but in WI if they send a title in as junked, the vehicle will only ever be good for parts (in any state)
I had a 67 Cougar once that I thought I could get the title reinstated somehow, and it was a no go except by shady means.
David

oldie62 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the info. I had to pay about $500 to get it settled. oldie62

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.