Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#454543 02/20/21 12:51 PM
Thicks2 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
So I’ve never rebuilt a car before, but I spent time in auto shop when I was younger and have always swung tools. I am really looking forward to doing this project with my 2 boys (age 6&9) and would like to do a frame up restoration so this truck (my grandfathers old farm ride) continues to get passed down the generations. I hope to use this truck as a driver both on and off the freeway.

The truck has the original 283 v8 in it. The tuck has been sitting for the last 30 years but I was able to manually rotate the engine so I know it’s free. My uncle says the transmission is shot and will need replaced. I’ve done some reading and the gear ration in this old work truck don’t lend themselves to high speed driving. My questions are:

1) is it worth rebuilding the 283? If so are there any part replacements you would suggest to make it perform to its best?

2)Is there a transmission you would suggest throwing into this truck that can marry to the engine?

3) I’ve read camero series 2, old Novas rearends fit well and would allow for higher drive speeds and disc breaks?

4) would you suggest replacing the front end?

Sorry like I say I’m a newb and I need a mentor to give me some direction. I appreciate any help/knowledge share you all could provide.

Thanks

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Thicks2,

Welcome to the VCCA forums! It sounds like a great adventure to share with your kids and family!

You mentioned that you want to do a complete restoration, which is exactly in line with the thinking of most folks on this site. Our main focus is restoration, preservation and enjoyment of all things Chevrolet and GMC.

You might try rooting around in the following forums for specific info about your questions:

Mechanical - Engines, Transmissions, etc. https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/forums/11/1/mechanical-engine-trans-etc.html

Trucks and Vans https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/forums/29/1/trucks-and-vans.html

I believe your stock truck will easily, but slowly, do both city and highway driving and last to delight future generations.

If you leave it stock, you'll have a wonderful tribute to what Grandpa drove and will have saved a unique heirloom.

If you want to modify it, check out our Personalized Modifications forum: https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/forums/86/1/personalized-modifications.html

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Great truck to restore, and build your own legacy with your boys. I did the same with my two boys who are in their 40's now, and
both are still working on special projects, as well as knowing how to do their own repairs.

I have owned a '54 3100 for over 30yrs. now, all stock. It was my sole transportation for 10yrs., and never once failed me. And this
is in Denver where we get all sorts of weather. It has never been kept in a garage, as I want to enjoy it, loan it out if someone needs
it, and not worry about a rock chip or three.

Start simple with your truck. Figure out what you have, what condition the driveline is in, and what it will take to bring it up to your driving
standards. 283" are great motors, lots of parts available, easy to work on. See what your grandpa meant when he said it needs a new tranny.
You may find a different opinion or an easy fix.

Since it most likely won't be a daily driver, I would drive it around with the current rearend and see what you think yourself. 100 people will
give you 100 opinions, (mine makes 101), but a car is only original once.

Congratulations on your project and wecome to the site!

Bobalouie

Last edited by bobalouie; 02/21/21 11:40 AM.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Thicks2,

Welcome to VCCA Chat. That sounds like a great vehicle and the base for an even greater project with your sons.

I have learned more than I even imagined from the members of this forum who are so willing to share their knowledge and ideas. I did join VCCA which has made the whole experience more than I ever expected.

I agree that the first phase of this journey is to simply determine the actual condition of the truck and what it needs to get it operating safely as it is today. I made a similar journey with my ”˜37 Master coupe. Today it is an extremely reliable and nice looking car I can drive anytime. The major work I did included complete brake system, new wiring harness, engine bearing clearances, fuel system and cooling system.

Do not make the mistake I made. I was way too optimistic in my timeline. I bought tires thinking I was only about 6 months or so from being on the road. Seven years later I did drive the car!

Just tackle one area at a time and enjoy the journey.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thicks2,
What transmission does your truck have? Most likely 3 speed with column shift or 4 speed (floor shift). Either of these would be fairly easy to source and probably cheaper than a major rebuild of the trans you have. I don't know how fast you want to go, but I think you will be happy with the highway speed you can achieve with the stock setup. As an alternative, the S10 Chevy 5 speed is a common and minimally invasive swap. A period 3 speed overdrive transmission would be another option for keeping your truck mostly original.
It seems to be a great project for you and your Sons. The family connection is the icing on the cake. Get your rig driving safely and see how you like it before committing to modifications that cannot be reversed.
My enjoyment of my old vehicles includes the slower pace and connection to the period when they were built. You boys will learn that there is more to life than always being in a hurry to get somewhere.
Welcome to Chat.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.