Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Samwise Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I've been looking at the mustang ll front suspension kits for my 55 pickup and wondering if anyone has experience with these. Seems like a good idea to improve drivability and improve brake performance.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I see no one has dove in on this yet. So your project depends on what you hope to achieve. If you want to have something you can drive across the country then you might want to modify it. Just be aware once you start that process it is difficult to go back. Next the rear end will need to be upgraded. Then the engine, trans, electrical, then electric windows,etc... Pretty easy to tie $50,000 to $75,000 up into a $15,000 truck. You will NEVER get your investment out of it. None of us do. If you want to have something you take to an occasional car show and have people look at and admire then in my opinion you should leave it stock. Its a lot less stress, money, and time. Having an original older vehicle that you and your family can enjoy and have fun with is in itself a reward. JMHO Art

I was born in 55 and had a 55 2nd series panel truck I rolled over 2-1/2 times at highway speed so I have a soft spot for that model. I miss that old truck.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 1955 2nd series that I am working into a resto-rod. You need to research Mustang II suspension changes very carefully. Most, if not all, do not hold up well due to having to support more weight than designed (larger engines, heavier sheet metal, heavier frames). It has taken some time for the issues to appear as miles driven have accumulated to the point where wear and failure have occurred. All of the independent front suspensions I have been looking at are engineered and built from scratch. Entire new frames with suspensions are very popular right now. I would not buy anything from eBay at this point as far as suspensions. They are being liquidated. Look at a company like No Limit Engineering and what they offer.

I don't intend to drive interstate speed limits so I still have the stock I beam with disc brake upgrade and power steering. My warning is don't drive 70 mph with a Mustang II suspension. A failure at this speed will be deadly. I have seen the results. Of course this is IMO.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You might take a look at the forums at the Stovebolt website (https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html). The whole site is dedicated to Chevy and GMC trucks and lots of them do similar upgrades or modifications.

If you register (it is free) then use their search function with a criteria of +1955 +front +end , you'll find quite a few threads on this subject.

Cheers, Dean

Last edited by Rustoholic; 02/14/21 02:11 PM.

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Research, research, research!

Changing suspension and brakes on a vehicle requires a full systems approach.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.