Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#443295 05/29/20 05:36 PM
Tiny Offline OP
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
My '53 is unrestored and will remain that way. The front seat had a large hole in the cushion fabric. SMS wanted a LOT of money for fabric they said was OEM pattern. The samples they sent were not a match in pattern or color. The color I can attribute to mine being faded but the price was something I couldn't stomach. I found a less expensive material that was "close enough" and had the cushion recovered. It's not wearing well plus the seat back is on the verge of wearing a hole in it. I would consider paying up for the SMS fabric if it was a closer pattern match. I'm considering putting a saddle blanket seat cover on it. I see all kinds of styles and prices. Has anyone here put a saddle blanket seat cover on? How do you like it? Is it wearing well? Was it difficult to put on? What brand was it? Thanks.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Tiny,
In defense of SMS, I thought the same thing about the color match on the samples they sent me for my 51 Styleline and the expense. The original front seat backs had deteriorated and needed to be replaced. However, when I pulled the front seat out and compared the sample to areas where the sun had not bleached the color, it was a direct match. And there is no other source for this fabric.So I bought the fabric and had a local shop fabricate the covers. Yes it was expensive but it looks terrific and I have already forgot about how much I paid.
Good lick with your search.
Jeff

Tiny Offline OP
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I'm not complaining about the color. I know mine has faded. My gripe about the appearance is the weave pattern. It doesn't match the OEM material. If I'm going to spend that much it should match.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would watch for an accessory set of seat covers on Ebay.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Tiny,
I found a cheap universal fit bench seat cover made by Kraco at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts store. Cost was about 40 bucks. I had to cut some of the seam stitching along the top corners to fit the cover onto my 51 coupe seat back, but once I did that and tied down the straps, it fit ok. Not really made for a split front bench but usable. IT seems to be wearing well, and keeps my tush from burning on the vinyl seats I have for now.

I searched far and wide for seat slip/covers made for my 51 Coupe, and found nothing reasonable on the internet. The prices I found were comparable to what one would pay for the material from SMS, etc, albeit they're pricey as you say. I was just looking for a temporary cover until I could re-do my interior.

You might do better simply buying material from a local upholstery shop and getting them to stitch it up into a slip cover, or do it yourself if you know someone with a sewing machine (aka wife???LOL).

Good luck.

Last edited by styleline51; 09/10/20 01:36 PM.

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.