Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#437634 01/27/20 07:59 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So I managed to source a useable exhaust manifold, thanks to Steve at the Filling Station. Woohoo! (If you recall, the flange where the exhaust pipe connected on mine had been repeatedly repaired and ultimately failed completely on the highway, almost resulting in a conflagration.)

I'm reassembling everything and and cannot find the torque settings for the four nuts connecting the intake to the exhaust manifold, or the bolts and nuts connecting the exhaust and intake manifolds to the engine.

Anyone got those numbers handy, please?

Thanks!
--
Jay

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Typically there are no published torque settings for older vehicles like these. Most of us have done this type work so frequently that we just tighten things up.

My suggestion is that you should start with the torque value for Grade 2 hardware of the same size as the stud. After you have run the engine through 2 or 3 good heat cycles you should probably re-tighten the nuts.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks!
--
Jay

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
This does not have exactly what you're looking for, but it might help you figure out the "range" that you'll want.

https://1931chevrolet.com/torque.htm

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Jay, did you have your new manifold decked at the machine shop. Many times these old manifolds are warped which causes them to leak or spit the gasket out causing more warping and even burning of the exhaust ports. Not to enjoin vacuum leaks and poor running too. It’s very cheap insurance to get the manifold perfectly level.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Originally Posted by Chistech
Jay, did you have your new manifold decked at the machine shop. Many times these old manifolds are warped which causes them to leak or spit the gasket out causing more warping and even burning of the exhaust ports. Not to enjoin vacuum leaks and poor running too. It’s very cheap insurance to get the manifold perfectly level.

agree, had my manifolds machined flat for the mounting surface and had the head machined flat in the mounting area as well.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the good idea! I am a day or two away from finally assembly (waiting for some doodads to arrive from Steve at the Filling Station) but it will check for flatness today.

Hey, my old (trashed) exhaust manifold had a flared exhaust pipe mated (as best as they could) to the craptastic flange. My "new" exhaust manifold flange is perfect. Does the exhaust pipe slip INTO the 2" hole in the flange, or does it mate UP TO the flange, utilizing the flared exhaust pipe?
--
Jay

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Do you have the donut gasket from TFS Part# EX-200?

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Bare_Feet
Do you have the donut gasket from TFS Part# EX-200?

They are on the way.
--
Jay

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
You will probably be fine using the specs for the 235 straight six found there >>> http://www.hotrodreference.com/1209/chevy-stovebolt-216-235-six-cylinder-torque-specifications/

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.