Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#437562 01/26/20 12:28 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Got a couple of questions re the 2021 anniversary meet.

a. Does a car driven to the meet compete directly with a car that is trailered?

b. If directly compared, are there any allowances for a car that is driven vs a car that is trailered? Anything forgiven for:

1. Discolored exhaust manifold?

2. Oil everywhere on the engine?

3. Less than pristine undercarriage?

4. Bugs in the radiator fins?

5. Rocks in the tire treads?

6. Any fault caused by road use?

Based on response posts I will begin making a decision as to trailer or drive the car. I'd rather drive but if there is direct comparison to trailered cars, I can't see any advantage to driving to the meet. The adventure alone just won't get it. One must ask oneself if there is anything to be gained.

Another thing: Are plain Jane's (lower specimens) ever in the same class as deluxe models (High end models)?

Not so fast there: I ain't done just yet. Has there been any intelligent thought about adding points for accessories that are pristine and correct. If not, that will continue to be a source of unfairness and irritation that will cause owners to remove accessories from their cars instead of taking a chance on point deductions. Will too!

Last thing: Is there a separate class for cars that are brought in on enclosed trailers? You know those know as Trailer Queens (TQ? Those that are never taken out of their shells except for show and smell like a closet full of moth balls. Sort of like the concept of time capsules. Only opened for regional and anniveresy meets. Have to lube the hinges and squirt oil in the locks to get that sweet thing out. Just saying. Agrin

Thanks ah heap,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 25,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 25,000
a Yes a trailered car will compete with a driven car.
b Kinda depends on the judges.

1 kind of depends on the judge...if it were me I would deduct for the fake looking painted exhaust manifold as that is not how they looked when the owner picked up the car.from the dealership.
2 best to have excess oil cleaned off
3 should be fairly clean considering
4 as long as they arenot too obivous
5 never saw a deduction for that
6 usually minor accepted.
A plain jane 1941 Master Deluxe with no heater or radio would compete against a 1941 convertible with all the accessories. If some of the accessories are incorrect points will be deducted.

You do not get more points for a convertible or an accessory laden car. A vehicles start off with 1000 points and points wil be deducted for "sins"........

Last edited by Chev Nut; 01/26/20 01:07 PM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
"I will begin making a decision as to trailer or drive the car. I'd rather drive but if there is direct comparison to trailered cars, I can't see any advantage to driving to the meet."

Charlie,

Your questions really put a big smile on my face.

I learned that a person can not only drive a vehicle a long distance to a national meet but also win with it. But it gets better. You can do it with a vehicle that the owner has restored with his/her own two hands rather than with a bunch of overpriced professionals and a checkbook.

My enlightenment came in 1976 when my wife and I drove our home restored ’36 PU from Southern California to the VCCA National Meet in Colorado Springs, a distance of 1400 miles each way, camping the entire time (no motels or restaurants). Even after that long drive across the deserts of California, Nevada and Utah and crossing several 12,000 foot passes in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado our ’36 cleaned up as well as the trailer queens. Check the 1976 National Meet Class T-2 results to see for yourself.

Since 1976 my wife and I have had way more fun driving our ’36 than a person could ever have sitting around in a lawn chair at a show. We still drive it at least a couple of times a month, rain or shine.

From experience, my suggestion to you concerning driving would be “Go for it”.

Ray W

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie... You've spent far too many years worrying about most of these questions, without coming out and finding out the answers for yourself. Just load the car up and bring it out to a show. Don't stress over the judging, or how the points are awarded. Just prep the car to the best of your abilities, and the rest will fall into place. Head out to one of the meets this coming year as a warm up to 2021, and your questions will be answered. Despite what you may be inclined to think, judging is not an exact science...

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (andsome07, Tiny, 1 invisible), 76 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,072
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.