Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bobfi23 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have two steering column/gearbox assemblies for a 23 superior and both have locking fatman steering wheels and both need repairs. Based on my internet searches I believe the manufacturer is Spencer. Unfortunately I don’t have keys for either lock so I’m looking for suggestions on where I could find key blanks or other ways to remove the lock assemblies. The one lock is a Corbin rm62 and the other just has the number 52103. I plan on contacting some local locksmiths but I’m not sure I’ll have much luck with a 97 year old lock.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have an old column with the remains of a Atman wheel. I believe the column is from a Chevy but I am not sure. It is yours for shipping cost if it is something that would help you. I can send a picture of the one I have, if you want.

You should move this discussion to the appropriate 4 Cylinder area. You might get more traffic.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Bobfi23 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
After considerably more research I’ve determined that the two wheels were manufactured by the Rollaway Motor Co. of Toledo Ohio. The name of the wheel was Lokwell. Since the wheel turns the steering, the lock is in the correct position for operating. I still need suggestions on how to remove the wheel.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is it locking or free spinning type? In other words, when the key is turned one way it engages a latch of some sort that allows the steering wheel to turn the car, when turned the other way disengages and the steering wheel just spins. Is there a cap that covers the area where the steering wheel nut would be? If so look around for a driven in pin that might hold the cap in place. On some of these the pin can only be driven in one way. If there is one(or more), might have to be drilled out to remove the cap to access the nut. If it can be removed, look around for an older locksmith that has been around for a while. They might be able to ether make new key or change the tumblers and fit a key.

Last edited by Mark_Gregush; 12/11/19 09:01 PM.
Bobfi23 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks Mark, I don’t have a key for either wheel but since they move the steering it’s possible that if the key was available it would operate as you stated. I assume that the wheel would need to be disengaged before the cover could be removed. I will look for a pin and I’m and trying to find a locksmith who is willing to work on the lock.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Bobfi23 - That's cool that your steering wheels were made in Toledo. Since I live in Toledo and have a '23, that would be very cool! BTW, your transmission was most likely also made in Toledo.

Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.