Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Could someone with access to a 63 impala or bel-air measure from the front edge of the door so I can find where the screws were for the two outside mirror brackets. The previous owner bonded over them and I'm trying to replace it. Thanks, Glynn.

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Glynn...how about removing the inside door panel and reaching up inside the door near where the mirror holes would be...you should feel some Bondo that dripped thru the holes when wet...you can poke back from inside the door with a sharp punch and see them from outside the door.....if not I can pull off the mirror on my 64 Impala SS (same door shape as 63) and get measurements but can't do that till tomorrow...let me know...Billu38

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I've gone that route but found holes too far forward and made extra holes. I've measured a 64 wagon and a 64 4-door and they were 1\4" different from each other measuring back from the front edge of the door. The first holes were 11 1/16 and 11 5/16 the next being 2 inches farther back. Maybe chevy just drilled freehand at the factory. I need to pull the glass out I guess. Every one I measured had the screws twisted off. Thanks for the reply, Glynn.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Glynn, I removed the driver's side mirror from my 64 Chevy Impala SS...which I bought new in Oct. 1963....neither mirror nor door have never been off......the forward screw center is 9-3/8 in. from the front edge of door...the rear screw center is 11-3/8 in. from front edge of door...both holes are 7/8 in. inward from the outer edge of the door...Billu38

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
When I look at your numbers there's quite a difference....maybe 2 inches.....I know the non-Impala vent window and frame is different on the less expensive models....larger I think...possibly the mirror on those models is further back to get a good view without interference from the vertical frame????? Billu38

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The mounting locations are different depending on models. Sport Coupe & convertible have one location and all other models have another location. A template is provided with a new mirror. The accessories installation manual only shows the actual dimensions for the Sport Coupe & convertible. The rear hole for the bracket is 2-5/8" forward from the rear edge of the vent window pillar. The forward screw hole is 2" forward of that and both are 19/32" below the lower edge of the door revel molding.

Verne

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.