Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Looks like I will be ending up with one. Matching numbers car that was like mint until left in a garage for about 30 years. Still in very good shape and motor is free. Was a show winner, matching numbers car, and once owned by the president of a local Corvair club. All matching numbers and no missing parts to my knowledge. Anyone familiar with this type of car and what it might be worth. What do I need to know about it? Etc.

It needs a good cleaning and the typical sorting out of a car that’s been sitting a while. Interior is perfect but needs a cleaning. Dash and glass is perfect but really can’t tell about the overall condition of the paint as it’s really dusty and dirty. I made a low but what I feel was a fair offer but didn’t feel they would even consider it. They called back within a few minutes and told me they accepted my offer. Well, the wife isn’t real happy ????. Oh well, she’ll be OK in a few days.

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Spyder makes it more vauable. Other than that ordinary Corvairs have lost value. I qould guess it would be worth just North og $5000.00
Rust was the problem with Corvairs. That includes gas and brake lines and the botttom of the gas tank.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Old car disease is incurable no matter how many you have. The frustrating part is there is not enough time to work on all of them even if retired. I guess this means you have officially been bitten by the SPYDER .

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
A '64 Spyder Convertible is pretty much the top of the heap, for production model Corvairs. A nice coupe is still a great find. My Son, Sam, is a Corvair guy. We revived a '64 Greenbrier and kept bending pushrods. Turned out to be sticking valves. That side draft carb has a reputation for being stubborn. Good luck with the car, and your wife.

Mike

PS were you going to call me about some '35 engine parts, or are you set?

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Your right mike. Kind of been straight out with my regular job, redoing my house some, and damn Patriot football parties getting in the way of productive weekends! I need exhaust and intake valves and a 34’ pickup radiator apron to start. Owner wanted all new Babbitt in the rods and mains rather than NORS stuff. Need a pair of valve retainers, one pushrod, and one pushrod retainer springs. I call you tomorrow night after I get home from work.

On the Corvair, in 64 they made more spyder coupes 6480, with 4761 converts, so yes they are slightly rarer but many don’t want Convertible anything. 64’ was a lot worse in production than 63’. First year for the chassis upgrades, the last for the 1st gen body, and the last for the spyder model. Had a few guys PM me on the ACCA already really interested in it.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Have you picked up the engine in Maine? If not are you still planning on it?

Steve D
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Steve
Yes I picked it up on Thursday then went by LBHC to get my Olds convertible roof kit and the remains of my interior. Because of the extreme cold my diesel pickup fuel filter clogged up and with me also seeing customers for my job made for a very long day. I ended up driving 80 miles at 30mph!

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Went to CT. Thursday to pick up a parts car and saw more than one TT beside the road most likely frozen up. A bottle of Diesel 911 is a must carry in New England along with a spare filter and some additive in the tank. I found another member looking for a 35-36 engine and actually located one near Worcester. The one in Maine would have been closer as the member is located near Bar Harbor Maine.

Steve D
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by 35Mike
A '64 Spyder Convertible is pretty much the top of the heap, for production model Corvairs. A nice coupe is still a great find. My Son, Sam, is a Corvair guy. We revived a '64 Greenbrier and kept bending pushrods. Turned out to be sticking valves. That side draft carb has a reputation for being stubborn. Good luck with the car, and your wife.

Mike

PS were you going to call me about some '35 engine parts, or are you set?

Mike

There are multiple issues with the carb, ALL BUT ONE CAUSED BY USING FLAPS REPAIR KITS!

The one design issue is that the automatic choke linkage requires adjustment once every two-three years.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chistech
Looks like I will be ending up with one. Matching numbers car that was like mint until left in a garage for about 30 years. Still in very good shape and motor is free. Was a show winner, matching numbers car, and once owned by the president of a local Corvair club. All matching numbers and no missing parts to my knowledge. Anyone familiar with this type of car and what it might be worth. What do I need to know about it? Etc.

It needs a good cleaning and the typical sorting out of a car that’s been sitting a while. Interior is perfect but needs a cleaning. Dash and glass is perfect but really can’t tell about the overall condition of the paint as it’s really dusty and dirty. I made a low but what I feel was a fair offer but didn’t feel they would even consider it. They called back within a few minutes and told me they accepted my offer. Well, the wife isn’t real happy ????. Oh well, she’ll be OK in a few days.

Buy your wife some designer sunglasses, a scarf, and a poodle skirt; and wait for warmer weather wink

And you have mail.

Jon

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Chistech, sent you a PM.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hopefully, welcome to Corvair. Once everything is sorted out, they are trouble free and fun to drive. I've been driving mine now for close to 10 years, after 30 months of off & on restoration. You can see it in the 1960 category.

Where are the pictures?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (triZero, Nick_in_Manitou, Bertus, minetto), 65 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.