Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#414260 09/06/18 11:09 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Has anyone purchased a wood kit or wood parts from Classic Wood Products. If so, would you share some feedback about their products. Thanks

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I have not used or seen their kits. Points to remember is that all kits produced will be made from original wood taken from a car. Count on little compensation for shrinkage and other age related issues. Pretty much it is luck whether wood from one car will fit another. It should but lack of QC and the ravages of time make it a gamble. So don't be discouraged about buying a kit but do be prepared for custom fitting and trimming and adjustments that may be required to make it fit.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the great tips! I will remember them while I am doing my project.

Ray

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I have purchased different pieces for different year Chevys from them. They do some nice work but I would suggest you order all pieces with no holes bored. I’ve found while the wood is pretty nice, the locations of the holes is way off. Cabboy is correct, you will need to do some hand fitting. You need to assemble the wood then fit the sheet metal to it. You will find the metal has to go on and off a few times during the process. On a 31’, if replacing the front hinge pillars, you will have to cut the metal at the cowl for each windshield post cover to get the wood in the metal if it’s a closed car. The Cabriolet is much easier when it comes to replacing wood.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am in the first stages of putting a Cabriolet back together. Thanks for your help!

Ray

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I bought my kit from Jim Rodman at Autowood for my 31 Cabriolet. I was very pleased but this was about four years ago. I understand some my have had problems in recent times but my experience was good.

Dave

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Many of the woodworkers need to make the parts after you make your order. I would suggest that once you know what is needed for your project get it ordered. It took me almost a year to get my parts.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi
Originally Posted by raylen52
I am in the first stages of putting a Cabriolet back together. Thanks for your help!

Ray

If you need any help let me know, I have hundreds of photos of my restoration. Mine is a 32’ Olds but very similar on most things and identical on some with a 31-32’ Chevy.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for all the comments, advice and offers of help. As I work through this project, I will be needing more advice in the future.

Thank you Mr. Chistech! Mr. Chipper has sent me the pictures you sent him. They will be a great help on my project.

Ray

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.